vinyl wall board painting techniques

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

chablis

Hi, all,
This subject probably has been beaten to death, but I want to ask about various techniques I've heard concerning how to paint that lovely vinyl-papered wallboard.

I live in the northeast. I realize the purpose of the batten strips is to cover shift gaps in the wallboard, much like the joints in poured concrete. I am planning to reuse the strips, as the idea of cracks in a newly-painted wall is a less desirable alternative.

Which brings me to question # 1 (actually, it is several questions)

1. Do I remove the battens for painting, or merely paint over them?
2. If I remove the battens to paint them, can I run a bead of silicone caulk in the gaps before reattaching them? Is there an advantage to doing this?

2. Since I am reusing the battens, can I paint the walls without retexturing them, either with a skim coat or with joint compound applied to the walls?
Chablis
Yanita

Hi,

There are numerous threads on this topic, many fairly recent. But to answer your questions, yes, you can paint your wall...clean well, prime with a bonding primer, and paint with latex of your choice. Allow for complete drying (curing times) before proceeding to the next step.

To remove the battens is your choice, I can say that you will probably break more than you will get off in one piece.

Yes, you can paint over them.

Take a few minutes to read some of the past threads, there is alot of great info there.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
peachlizzard

Chablis,
I painted the kitchen recently and did not remove any battons. They paint up the same as the wall board did. I didn't use a primer, just cheap WalMart paint. And I know that probably isn't advisable, but so far so good. I don't have any peeling, it took one coat. Still looks really nice. Good luck!
Willc

tri sodium phosphate wash ,rinse, two coats of GOOD primer"kilz or Zisser bullseye" two coats of color.
Starting over remodel junkie
Trudi

How timely this is! I just spent the weekend removing batten strips, taping and mudding, then texturing the walls with joint compound.

A tip to help prevent breaking the strips, is to carefully run your tool (I used a 5 in 1 tool, that has the curved side to clean paint rollers) under the top nail/brad, and slightly lift just until it gives, but isn't totally released.

Next, run it down to the next one, doing the same way, and on down to the last one. When all are loosened, pull it free with your hands, using steady pressure, but not yanking back. They should "give" and come off without breaking. I didn't break any, but hubby broke one. (Let's hear it for the girls! :wink: ) We took off around 14 in all.