BONDO to the rescue

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lorne

I'll add pictures of it painted later.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
SpongeBob

Hi, I have seen that repair method used many times on THIS OLD HOUSE. It seems to work as long as we cut back beyond the rot to get to clean wood. Nice work....prime, paint and like new!
-Bob
p.s. Don't forget to address the problem that caused this in the first place :?:
joyce

I am very impressed -- can't wait to see finished pictures ....Is this product something that would work to fill the space when I take the strips down on my wall?
Lorne

SpongeBob wrote:Hi, I have seen that repair method used many times on THIS OLD HOUSE. It seems to work as long as we cut back beyond the rot to get to clean wood. Nice work....prime, paint and like new!
-Bob
p.s. Don't forget to address the problem that caused this in the first place :?:
Thats where I got the idea to us Bondo. Just wish I had their their big shop and all the tools.

I replaced the Left side vertical wood trim piece that I found at Lowes.
As for the rotted section on the sill I chipped away all the loose material, but left enough jagged edges so the Bondo would have something to grab onto.

The rot was created by a very old and large air conditioner that would drain out the side and the water would pool in the corner.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Lorne

joyce wrote:I am very impressed -- can't wait to see finished pictures ....Is this product something that would work to fill the space when I take the strips down on my wall?
You could use Bondo, but it would be expensive and also it has 2 parts that you mix together and drys in a couple of minutes. Your better bet would be to use Spackle or Drywall Compound (Mud) because it is very cheap and a whole lot easier to sand. Bondo is what they repair cars with to cover dents. Hardens like steel and can be drilled and chiseled.

This picture is after the undercoat, but before the green topcoat.

I still need to replace the window glass with Plexiglas and paint the upper and lower frames. Plexiglas will be better in a hurricane down here.

Happy repairing.
dandjbarrett

Two thumbs up!!! Nice job, Lorne.