Putting up a 3' chain link fence..

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

kamiller73

Hi everyone.. i'm putting up a fence around my property and could use any advice. I'm doing it myself and have never done it before. I guess the main question is can I buy the post holes that are 8 ft. long and cut them in half. I have two small dogs and think 1 ft. cemented in the ground should be enough. I would get the 5'8" post and line poles, but not sure how far down the lines are from the utilities.. :lol: . what do yall think??
kamikaze
Greg

Sure you could cut the posts in half, no problem.
One thing you NEED to do is call and get the utilities marked, it's a free service and law in most states. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

To further Gregs post I think the number is 1-800 dig safe.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
chasMB

I think the number cal vary by state. If you can not find it in a phone book look on one of those orange signs they use along the road to mark underground lines, It will be on the sign. You might also find it on a sign in the area around a traffic light controller. Just give them 3-5 days notice to get the lines marked.
SpongeBob

Hi, in AZ, DIG SAFE is commonly known as BLUE STAKE. It is a free service and as Greg said it certainly is the law. 1-800-782 5348.

-Bob
kamiller73

:D Well.. I did it. YEA.. Only had to dig 1 foot and it worked great. Here's the before and after pics.. Image
kamikaze