exterior painting cost estimates

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lorne

Looks like we have to get a painter to do our double wide.
With one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel, it seem I can't do the whole job my self.

My mind says I'm 35, but my body says "forget about it".

The job is for 3 sides on the house, which is 28 X40 X about 10. I figured about 1000 square feet times 2 coats equals 2000 SF. The wife and I did one side of the house ourselves already, but it was low enough for a step ladder.

Any ideas how much a Painter would charge for this job? Just a ball park idea is fine.

I called a painter today and left a message. He was recommended and does a lot of work for poor old people like us.

Getting old REALLY SUCKS.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
JD
Site Admin

I have seen some painters painting as low as 50 cents a foot, with most major companies around my area charging .85 and more. There is usually a small charge for prep, depending on how much you will need.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
curlylocks

i love to paint too bad i don't live closer!
Lorne

Found a painter recommended buy a neighbor.
He stopped by yesterday for a look-see and to give me an estimate.

He got here at 12:30, checked what I wanted done, said $500 for 2 coats or what ever he had to do to cover this God Awful Blue Vinyl and started right there and then. He didn't want to wait to start the next day and he didn't leave until the sun went down. In 6 1/2 hours he got once around and started the second coat on one side.

Did I mention that I CAN'T STAND BLUE VINYL?

Though vinyl is clean, even he finds it hard to cover using Valspar Duramax with a built in primer.

Rolling it on is working out much better then the brush because it goes on thicker.

An separate undercoat using Gripper might have been better, but it is looking much better then it did.

The one thing I didn't think about was that Latex paint on vinyl has nothing to grab onto like painting wood, so the Gripper would indeed be a good idea for anyone getting ready to paint their vinyl.

I'll have some pictures of the before and after and also some of the rotted out window sill I rebuilt using Bondo. I just love bondo.

Have a great Sunday.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Lorne

lets see if my Kodak link works this time so you see the Blue I'm getting rid of.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhoto ... 892&page=1

Now how do I make this URL link say "Click here"?
Yanita

Hi,

Thanks for the pics...LOL, the link worked!

Welcome to my world of the miserable blue siding...gotta ask, what was the previous owner thinking :shock: But since we have done new windows, doors, major interior renovations and a new gas pack, replacing siding is not an option. At least this siding has the built in insulation with it. Not only would we have to do the home but the garage as well and that is 20x24. Our vinyl is in excellent shape so I can't justify the cost of replacement at this time.

As for painting with the paint/primer all in one...I bought a quart awhile ago and thought I would give it a try...well as I had feared the paint after curing for a few days I could run my nails across the wall and peel it off. Thankfully I had only done an area about 8x8 feet. But removing the paint was a pain.

Keep us posted on how yours last, that would be my concern. I have had several people tell me I can paint my vinyl, but you know, for me the sun spends hours beating my home with 110 degree days...at night when things cool off I can hear areas of my home contracting back, and in the morning they starting popping with expansion...just not sure how paint on vinyl will work...last.

Yanita
Last edited by Yanita on Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Lorne

Well the paint on vinyl needs about a week to fully cure and then finger nails won't bother it much.

Our Blue siding was original from 21 years ago, judging from the bleed-through from the studs on one end.

One problem I see with painting vinyl is the lack of "hold". On wood paint grips into the surface. If you paint over a glossy surface then it should be sanded or "Dulled" to give a foot hold for the paint.

$500 for an entirely new look is a far cry from re-siding the whole house.

I have to go out an snap some photos of the new look and then you can compare them with the originals.

My Infrared thermometer shows that the new Cream color is cooler the the old Blue color. Should help this summer.

I'm also very proud of my window sill rebuild usinf Bondo, which fixed the rotted out corner.
See ya soon.
Last edited by Lorne on Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yanita

Hi,

Could you get some close up shots of the vinyl, am interested in seeing the texture etc...

As for my walls, yes they were properly prepped prior to painting. Since I have painted every home I have ever lived in, this I do right the first time...painting is not one of my favorite things to do.

I guess my point was meant to say, I am not a advocate of primer/paint combos.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Lorne

Well the paint was a satin finish as apposed to a Flat and that might have something to do with it.

if you look closely you will see the original "Simulated" wood grain.

Rolling the paint on leaves a much thicker layer compared to brushing it on.

I'll make a note to get a close up too.

This painter worked from 2:30 until 7:30 on Saturday and then 9Am till 3pm today. Non stop, no food, just Gator aid. Thats at least 2 coats all around plus the roof line trim.

You mentioned the "All in one", paint and primer.
We used the Valspar Duramax.
It says it has a primer in it, but I think it would be best to use something like "Gripper" first as the undercoat if you are painting vinyl, just like doing an interior on vinyl wall paper.
It is REALLY thick.

If this paint job lasts a few years we might have the money to re-side the house by then.

Have a good night
HouseMedic

If he put two coats on in one day hopefully the first coat was dry enough. If it wasn't, This will cause your paint to scrape off. The first coat can not dry completely because of the second coat not letting the air get to it.

Ron
Lorne

Housemedic
I was wrong in saying one day.

The first day, Saturday, he laid on the first coat and Sunday he re-coated it all around.
The humidity was low and the temperatures were in the upper 70's, so it should be fine.
Lorne

Yanita wrote:Hi,

Could you get some close up shots of the vinyl, am interested in seeing the texture etc...
Yanita

This is the grain on the vinyl after painting.
It is "Fingernail" resistant now.
Lorne

Photo update.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhoto ... &ownerid=0

Looks like a whole new house.
This is what I envisioned when we bought it.