Can I paint aluminum siding?

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Rosemary

I have a yr 2000 Clayton SW. Can the aluminum siding be painted and still look good? I would really like to replace the ugly original vertical siding and get wood look vinyl but wonder about the expense. I just want it to have a nicer appearance. Any suggestions? Thanks, Rosemary
Greg

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (or owner in this case) . Yes it can be painted, It will take proper preperation to make it look good & stay on with out peeling. I would contact a paint store in your area for their specific advice & choices. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
yankee

We painted our siding last summer. Power wash it first to get off all the chalky residue, touch up any rusty screws or spots with a good rust stop paint. We painted it with brushes using a low gloss Behr paint. It looks great! If I can figure out how, I will post pictures. :roll:
Yanita

Hi,

Just a word of caution on power washing your home. Yes it can be done, but it can also cause damage to your home. The force of the spray can tear up your sealants and also get behind your siding, thus causing water damage to the interior walls.

Your best bet is to use a good ole fashioned scrub brush with warm water and TSP clean away, make sure to remove the oxidation. Sand and prime all rust spots and then use a real good primer. Before you paint make sure to check all the sealants around your doors an windows as well. Use the absolute best paint that you can afford. Skimping in good materials will result in a less than great job.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!