Removing Carpet

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Kimpossible

Apologies if this takes the OP off topic. I live in Zone 6 & along about this time of year our weather gets pretty cold. If there were no carpeting installed I've often wondered how cold the floors/house would be since my home isn't on a permanent foundation/closer to the ground. Opinions please & thanks in advance.
Yanita

Hi Kim,

I am going to separate this post from the thread and let you have your own thread.

You have a great question and I would like to see the answers you get, but not take away from the traffic master questions.

Thanks for understanding,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
beegee

Hi Kim!

I am in Cherokee County, GA, and it gets plenty cold here. But I have allergies and when the chance to finally live without carpet came up I jumped right in.

My place is up 24", set on a cement block foundation/skirt, with vents and a crawl space hatch that is just waiting for spring and repairs to make sure it will finally completely close. In other words, it's a little exposed right now

The guy was surprised when I told him I didn't want carpet-he said it would get cold, and he was right.

BRRRR!

Until I went along all of the baseboards with a nice bead of clear silicone caulk. I went along the entire interior perimeter of the house, caulking the area along the top of the baseboard where it meets the wall, and then I came back down on the area that meets the floor.

It is a lot warmer now even on the coldest days. I don't go barefoot very often at all, but have noticed a difference now the draughts are gone. Before it occurred to me to caulk the baseboard my feet were always cold.
Yanita

Hi,

In our singlewide we removed the carpet in the living room, hallway and middle bedroom. We replaced with southern pine wood floors.

Yes we can get cold and tonight is no exception, the floors were cooler than they were when the carpet was there. My solution was to lay larger area rugs in those rugs come winter time.

Now, if you are replacing with a laminate floor those generally require a foam padding before install, some use them others don't, but I would think it would offer a little insulation compared to nothing.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!