Paneling Over Paneling?

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

76artcraft

Hi,
Just would like to know if it is OK to put paneling over paneling?
I would just like to put that tiled waterproof paneling(4-got what it's called again!) over the existing paneling as a back splash for my kitchen sink, but I would go all the way to the ceiling with it and most importantly I'd like to cover the one seam and put the new seam in a more inconspicuous place...
Someone wall papered over it...but there's a crack there...bottom line it looks like crap!(can I "say" that word here?) I don't really want to put a wood trim piece there or spackle it.
Would that be OK or is it a bad idea?...
I would remove the wallpaper first(paranoid about mold, because I've seen it grow under wallpaper before in other houses).
I just thought I could, because I've heard of people sheet rocking over paneling.

I look forward to your input & suggestions :) .

Thanks
Sam
Yanita

Hi,

Don't see why you couldn't after you remove the wallpaper.

My first thought is...I wonder how it will hold up to continuous hot steam from cooking, if installed behind the stove area.

Maybe others have done this and will reply.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
76artcraft

Hi,
...oh no it won't be behind the stove. There's already some kind of metal thing attached there(behind the stove) that sticks out about 1/4 inch or more and over laps the counters on the sides about 5 inches. It almost goes to the top of the cupboard above the stove, but still behind the range hood...strange.

Since the metal "thing" had been painted before I moved in I was thinking of putting contact paper over it that looks like stainless steel. Then it would be easier to clean.

-Sam