Strips between panels on walls

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

joyce

I want to paint my walls and would like to remove the strips between the panels. Any ideas about how to remove them and what do I fill them with? It all is vinyl coated sheet rock with a pattern on it. Thanks Joyce
Yanita

Hi Joyce,

Welcome to the site!

I am going to move this post to the decorating forum. There are many threads in that forum all about these dreaded wall strips.

There are pros and cons to removing these strips. Please read thru the decorating forum, or do a search here on site and then decide if you want to do this. Painting requires priming etc...but you will see these threads as well.

Need further help, just holler.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Lorne

They use the strips to cover the joints because it's cheaper and faster then tape and then texturing and also hides any transporting seperating..

If you remove the strips you have to make sure that each panel is firmly fastened to the studs.
If they shift after you compound and paint then a crack will show.
If you use drywall tape and compound after removing the vertical strips it will be more like real drywalling.

Under coat with Kilz or another vinyl primer to make sure it sticks to the vinyl.

It's a lot of work, but it is well worth it and will greatly improve the whole appearance of your home.

They have a video you can get here that shows how to do it best.

People will say, this can't be a mobile home, look at those beautiful walls. What professional did you have do it.

Make you feel really good.
Good luck and take your time.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.