Gladiolous question

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Trickey280

Hi, I live in SE Michigan, I planted some gladiolus last spring. I assume they did well. They grew and bloomed, were very pretty. I read that they need to be dug up due to the ground freezing. This is the first year I have ever had a garden so I am new at this. Should I just did them up cut off the plant clean them off and put them in like a paper bag or a box? Thanks....
Yanita

Hi,

Glads must be dug up in the fall in areas where the ground freezes. Bulbs can be lifted anytime 4 weeks past the bloom time but before the tops turn brown. Cut the tops off and lay the bulbs out to dry in a warm ventilated area. In 2 or 3 weeks, depending on the size and condition of the bulbs they will be ready to clean.

Cleaning...
When properly cured the old bulb will separate easily from the new one. Examine bulbs and discard any that show signs of rot or scabbing. The cleaned bulbs should be dried further to cure the new scar, at which time they should be stored at 40 degrees or as close as possible to this temp. DO NOT ALLOW TO FREEZE. If stored at above 50 degrees then dust bulbs with an insecticide. Keep bags (brown paper) open and well ventilated, or use a screen bottom tray. DO NOT USE PLASTIC.

This method also applies to dahlias.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!