Painting Exterior This Weekend.....

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Georgie

Well hubby isn't liking the idea of rolling it on, but I think the neighbors will! :lol: With our family coming to help it wont be so bad. It will give everyone a chance to see each other! LOL So I only have ONE more question! LOL If I roll it on will five gallon be enough or will I have to put more than one coat on??
Yanita

Hi,

The one thing I can tell you...I have never gotten the coverage from a can of paint that the manufacturers said I would! I think it takes more paint to use rollers than a brush, I mean you do have to saturate the roller to get good coverage.

If you are getting a customer color mixed for your home I recommend that you take a new paint stick stirrer and paint the end of it with your exterior color...if you need another gallon towards the end of the job they can scan the stick and make one up!

Just another painting tip for those watching this thread..if you paint your interior with custom colors, put a smear/dab of paint inside on the wall switch plates in the room of that color. Should you need touch up paint years down the road, remove the cover, take it to your paint store, they can scan and remake the paint!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Lorne

"dab of paint inside on the wall switch plates in the room".

Yanita, this tip has to be one of the smartest one's I've read.
Truly inventive.

We will call it "Yanitas little da will do ya". :wink:
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Yanita

LOL, thanks Lorne,

I am infamous for saving the little paint color cards...and then when I need them...hmmm, where did I put them? So I came up with that little trick!

Have a good day!

Yanita
Last edited by Yanita on Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

Hi Georgie,

I know I'm stepping in late on this post, sorry, I've had family stuff going on.

I do own a wagner power shot sprayer and I have painted the exterior of our home. Metal siding on the home and two sheds. Wood on the shop. I carefully prepped the metal siding on the house and did the old roller and brush method. Prep included careful cleaning, primming and painting. That was 3 years ago. The house still looks great! I primed and prepped the sheds and shop very carefully and sprayed them Only one shed still looks good. Others are showing flaws if you look really close.

Now, I was told to get really good adhesion on metal, that you need to roll or brush the paint on and then back roll and back brush the paint. Tedious, yes... but great results!

I can't comment on Olympic paint, I've never used it. But I do know that no matter what brand you use, the result is in the prep work!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'