Painting Exterior This Weekend.....

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Georgie

Okay we have decided to go ahead and paint the exterior because we are going to look into buying a house in the spring. Or atleast trade our home in on a double wide. So painting will work for now. I have read over past posts and I just want to make sure we do this right! LOL My home is a 14x72 so I assume a 5 gallon bucket of exterior paint will be enough. I chose Olympic paint in a satin finish for the primary and trim colors. I used Olympic in my house and I got AWESOME results! I picked Kilz Latex primer in a 5 gal bucket also. I guess my questions is are these brands pretty good?? I don't want to end up with a bad finish. I am also going to buy a Wagner Power Shot Painter. Also about how long do I wait after I prime to paint??
Georgie

I forgot to ask, should I cover up my windows? I know there will be some overspray I don't want it to get on my glass.
macmom

You not only need to cover the windows, you need to move the cars, neighbors cars anything you dont want to get paint on. DO NO PAINT IF THE WIND IS BLOWING. The spray mist will be all over everything, so be very very careful with the sprayer.
JD
Site Admin

Hi Georgie,

Kilz II Latex can be top coated in as little as an hour. Generally, this won't be a problem, because the area you started is going to be a couple of hours behind you even with a sprayer.

I have never used the Wagner Power Shot models, but I hear there is more overspray and dripping than pro grade airless machines. Definitely mask everything in the painting area that you do not want painted. Masking and getting a good seal with the tape is critical to a good job. I would also drape the ground, concrete, what have you, at the base of the wall. They sell 4' wide canvas runners just for this. Not too crazy about plastic tarps.

Haven't used much Olympic Paint, so no comment there. It is a big name brand, so with a good primer base, it should work alright.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Georgie

So how hard is it to use a roller and paint the home? Would I have to do more than one coat?? I found a color I really like but it's by ColorPlace at walmart, anyone know how good this paint is?
Yanita

Well painting a MH exterior with a roller obviously would be alot of work. You can do it with a sprayer but you need to protect everything that you don't want over spray on.

You can take the color chip of any color paint or brand and have it mixed to any other brand of your choice. Example, I liked Martha Stewart "Very Berry" color chip, but do not like the quality of the paint, so I had the color mixed in Valspar brand name at Lowe's.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Georgie

hey Yanita! Thanks! Have you painted the exterior w/valspar? I did find a color I liked thru them. I just saw that one at Walmart. I have heard good things about COlorPlace, but not many. I noticed it's about $40 cheaper for the Colorplace for a five gallon bucket. I just don't know how good it is.
Yanita

Hey Georgie,

I have to admit that I have never painted the exterior of a MH.

You can use any color you want from from any other paint brand and have it mixed with a Valspar base. Yes, Valspar has an exterior paint as well. I have used the product on projects outside and it has held up well. Again, prep is key to any paint job.

Yanita
macmom

I have to agree with Yanita. I love valspar paint. It really is a good quality paint. I have never painted the exterior either but with the interior I always use Valspar.
Busybee1952

Thank you for asking these painting questions since I'm anticipating doing the same thing myself eventually. One of my questions is whether or not I can cover the darker colored trim with white. Will it cover if I prime it?
With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity ..... Nair, Keshavan
Yanita

Hi,

Yup, it will cover if you prime. You may need to use 2 coats of primer to get complete coverage of the darker color. You can also get tinted primers. Remember folks, prep is everything!

Yanita
Last edited by Yanita on Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georgie

Well I think we might be STUCK using a roller to apply our primer and paint. (I just had a thought, why can't they make a paint that works as a primer and a paint?! That would make life so much easier! :lol: ) Our neighbors mobile home is maybe ten feet from ours, I don't want any of our paint to get on their home. So that brings me to more questions! :? If I use a roller to paint and prime will I have to use more than one coat?? We have recruted about six people to help us so HOPEFULLY it wont take as long. I was just counting on getting a five gallon bucket of the primary and maybe one or two gallon for the trim. Thanks again for everyones help!
Lorne

Kilz-2 for vinyl is what I got after the regular Kills failed to dry properly.
Our enclosed porch has the original vinyl siding as the inside wall. I experimented on that before going outside.
I am going to get Valspar Duramax for vinyl, but I might have to use Kilz-2 first if the Duramax doesn't cover well enough with one coat.
I'm covering Blue siding with a light cream color.
Good luck.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Yanita

Hi Georgie,

I do think they make a paint that is a primer and paint in one, I think Kilz is the manufacturer. You could do a Google on this to be certain.

Either way, I am a creature of habit and typically stay with tried and true applications. A primer and paint combination just does not seem right to me.

You are going to have alot of prep, and alot of time painting, I think I would go with what I know works opposed to trying to save time and money, only to have a bad result....

Yanita
Lorne

As for Spraying house paint.
We think of painting cars and how fast it is, but automotive paint dries so fast that over spray is limited in the distance it will travel.
If house paint takes 30 minutes to skin over then your over sparay will be in the air for up to 30 minutes. Wondering through the neighborhood looking for a neighbor to drop on.

Sharing is all well and good, but this is no way to make new friends.
Commercial house painters "may" use an additive that speeds up the drying time.

Think of all the good exercise you get from brushing the paint. Ha, Ha.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.