Tractor Sprinkler

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Mark
Site Admin

Hi,

This spring the rain wouldn't quit. Now it won't start! LOL. So I've been spending too much time watering. I'm thinking of buying a traveling sprinkler to save the hassle of constantly moving hoses. The most common ones look like a tractor and follow the hose. Does anyone else use these sprinklers? Do they work well? What's the good and the bad?

Here's one link I found on them: http://home.howstuffworks.com/traveling-sprinkler1.htm

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Flybynite

Mark, Hope I'm not too late on this subject for you. The Nelson sprinkler shown in your link is fantastic. They do have a tendency to chew up soft spots (they make them where the grasss is too thin, too), but I love mine. Plus, the company is one of the best I've ever dealt with. Didn't use mine for a couple years & then it wouldn't rotate or move either. I tried to find parts to repair it in HD & Lowes but no go. Finally called Nelson. They said O.K., we'll send you a repair kit. I said I'd hafta wait till payday. They said no, we're GIVING you the parts. :D
They're the best!
Don
Mark
Site Admin

Wow Don. Do you have Nelson's number? I ask because I bought 3-4 other types of their sprinklers, and 3 of 4 are now broke after a few uses. So I'm not a huge nelson fan right now.

As far as a tractor sprinkler, I found and bought the best. I bought the 'Original National Walking Tractor Sprinkler.' It's 100% metal, including the gears. Not one spec of plastic on it. It was on back-order for half the summer, but I didn't care. I wanted it (especially after my disastrous experience with Nelson).

The tractor finally arrived earlier this week. But it'll be next spring before I can try it out as I just put my hoses away for the winter. The tractor is suppose to pull up to 300 feet of 5/8" hose. Wow!

The clerks in all the stores told me no such all-metal tractor-sprinkler existed unless I was lucky enough to find an old-timer at a rummage sale. One clerk told me just to stock-up on plastic gears. Anyway, I proved them wrong.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!