Newbie with many thanks

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

mdement

Hi,
I have been a luker for quite sometime and am amazed at the info I have been able to gain from this site. Thanks to everyone!
Two and a half years ago my husband and I bought 36.5 acres in SW GA. Included was a 1983 MH that was in bad need of repair. Orginally we were going to have it hauled out and buy a new one, but the more we looked at it the more we considered giving it a complete overhaul. Well, two years later, we are still working on it. We are about 75% complete and hope to finish by the end of the summer. We live in FL, so we are only there a couple days a week. We have had some good times and some really bad times during this endeavor, but it has been very rewarding.
Browsing through this site over many months has given us the encouragement to carry on. Thanks again.

Margaret
Harry

Hi

SW Georgia is really neat.

We were just up in Tallahassee and Panama City Beach.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

Margaret, welcome. You WILL have a huge degree of satisfaction when you get it done, plus you will know everything about your home. Greg
Last edited by Greg on Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mdement

I agree, Harry, SW GA is wonderful. Our property is at Lake Seminole and we have a 5 acre pond that is loaded with fish. Maybe someday, after we finish the MH, we will be able to fish as often as we would like.
We live just south of Tallahassee, about half way between Tallahassee and the Gulf.
Greg,
You are certainly right about knowing every detail of the home, I think I know where every screw is...LOL...I also know there are very few, if any staples left. We are new to MHs and I never knew there were so many staples.

Margaret
Greg

You have to remember that they are "mass produced" and time is money, stapels go in a lot faster than screws. Greg
DigitalDreams

Ya but greg if it were not for screws my place would have collapsed a long time ago kinda like that house on the directv moving commercial cause them there staples just don't hold so well after 30 + years and its a life long process replacing them but after a while you get enough in there the place only wiggles instead of shakes.
Greg

Digital, You have to look at it from the manufacturer's side. Stapels are fast & cheap, they only need to make it through the warranty period.
I do agree that screws are much better at holding things, but in the time it takes to drive a screw with a power driver you can have 20 stapels or nails in, time is money. Greg
DigitalDreams

Yes your right time is money but in my business , quality is more important than quantity because a satisfied customer is a repeat
customer and lives can depend on quality.

I build stairways for multi story buildings like fire escape and stairwell that you are going to depend on when the buildings on fire or the stairwell is the designated tornado safety zone and quality should
always be first.

I personally believe lack of quality is the reason our
country is facing the problems it is , when quality mattered people everywhere wanted to buy American ,dam the higher cost but since
many of our businesses in pursuit of that extra buck have started making produces cheaply overseas and local businesses have started building it cheaply to compete, we have lost more business.

I have found products I can buy from china cheaper than I can buy the materials, but after inspecting them found the quality so low I would feel guilty foisting them on my worst customer.