Christmas Trees Already

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

garrett_reukauf

Got a question for you all on here. For the last 4 years our family has been going out to a Christmas tree farm in North Carolina to pick out our Christmas tree. We spend a few hrs walking around out there until we find the perfect tree. Then we cut it down, pay for it of course, then come home, set it up and have a good time decorating it. This has been a "family tradition" now for the last 4 years. The kids really enjoy doing it, and we feel you should have a REAL tree on Christmas as opposed to a fake one, because there is nothing "fake" about Christmas or its purpose. Not only that but they smell wonderful. OK here's the deal....
I am leaving the country the next week, going up to Nova Scotia to take care of some business. I will be up there until about the middle of January. I wont be here for our "tree venture" this year and the kids say that if I wont be there then it wouldn't be the same. I'm leaving on Sunday 11/23. So I was thinking we could just go get one this weekend before I leave. Do you think its too early to put a Christmas tree up? I don't wanna seem weird ya know. But I don't wanna let the family down either so to speak. I know they need lots of water. But do you think it would keep until Christmas? We usually go cut it down the first week of December and keep it up till New Years Eve.
Mark
Site Admin

If someone is there to water and watch the tree, I don't know why you couldn't go cut it now. Since it's a fresh tree, it should stay in better shape much longer than a tree you buy from somebody's lot that's already been cut for 2-3 weeks.

We're kind of pondering the same issue. We are hosting the family T-day this year, so debating if we want a tree up by then or not as nobody will be around for Xmas to see it.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
lucasboy

My Wife & I go to a tree farm to chop ours down, also. We always go the day after Thanksgiving so I wouldn't think you'd be putting it up to early.
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck all
Greg

You can try it, but when the needles start falling off, that it down. At that point it is turning into kindeling wood. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

Your not to early for a tree. There are many on my side of NC that already have their trees up. As Mark said, water is the key. Do not forget all it takes is once for the water to run out and the cut end will seal itself over and not be able to draw up moisture.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
garrett_reukauf

Thanks everybody.... I guess I just needed some "reassurance" that I wasn't crazy. LOL. Yes Yanita, I know all about the drying out thing all too well. I bought one of those automatic water things last year, figured it would be a lot easier to water. Just make sure the bottle is full and let it do its work, right? Wrong! Got the tree all set up, deco'd, and lit it up. Ya know the first day or two they just soak up that water. Well after being up for about week I went to check the water bottle and notice the water level hadn't changed in the last two days. Stuck my fingers under the tree and came up dry. Uh-oh... Somehow the auto waterer had developed an air lock in the line. By the time I discovered it, it was too late. The trunk had already begun to "sap" over and seal itself off. I had to undeco the tree, take the tree down and cut about 1/2" off the trunk to open it back up again. Luckily I was able to save the tree, and Christmas, at that. I got rid of that auto waterer.
Ya'll have a warm memorable holiday season.
Garrett
Yanita

Hi,

We always used to have a real tree, UNTIL I moved to NC. It all changed after that first Christmas here. Paid 85.00 for a tree. Did all the general stuff to get it set up. Within a few days I noticed a popping sound near the tree, couldn't find anything but could still here the noise.

A day or so latter I noticed a very fine sawdust on some of the gifts...took everything off the tree, bought a very nice artificial tree, been using it ever since. Apparently there was some wood boring beetle in that tree that also managed to infest some baseboards and my great grandfathers antique coat rack!

NEVER again will get another real tree in the south, and for the money it didn't even smell nice!

Oh yeah, unless I am mistaken the first "tree" was actually what they called a yule log.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi

The modern custom of erecting a Christmas tree can be traced to 16th century Germany. In the Cathedral of Strasbourg in 1539, the church record mentions the erection of a Christmas tree.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?