Roof Loads

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Gladey

So we're looking at different models and brands, basically just having a good time till spring, when we hope to actually sign on a smallish double wide. Like I've said here before, we're looking mostly at Colony's and Skyline's right now.
The Colonys are cheaper and we like their floorplans better, the Skylines seem to be a little better quality. One thing that kind of concerns me is that the Colonys we've looked at have has 20lb psf roof loads, which is the minimum for here in WV, and the Skylines have 30 lb psf.
Is this a big deal? As long as it conforms to the minimum, should we be ok? I'm picturing our roof collapsing in a big snow storm. Am I being silly?
Is this a deal-breaker?
Harry

Hi

Here's some info I found on the internet:

How much does snow weigh? A one inch layer of water or ice weighs approximately five lb per square foot. A roof designed for a 20 lb per square foot snow load could theoretically hold up to four inches of ice. How much snow is that? Meteorologists estimate that about 12 inches of snow is equivalent to one inch of water, which means a roof should hold up to four feet of snow. Wet and packed snow weighs more, so a roof with a load of wet or packed snow might only be able to hold up to three feet of snow. A roof might be able to support the maximum snow load for several days or a few weeks, but probably no more than 30 days because wood can fail due to fatigue under prolonged loading.

If my roof were to collapse for any reason I would never hear the end of it from my bride....so I would go for the heavy snow load option.

JMHO

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi,

Great info Harry,

Gladey,

Regardless of which manufacturer you choose you can always order an upgrade on the roof system. Regardless of snow loads it is always best to keep your cleared of heavy snow.

JMO,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Demolition

In Arkansas we have a State Agency called the Manufactured Home Commission, usually called the Mobile Home Commission.

See if WV has one of these agencies and ask what they recommend for your area.

West Virginia? You mean West by god Virginia.
Regards, David D.
Plankowner USS West Virginia SSBN-736
JD
Site Admin

In my experience, a heavier roof/snow load is always better. It is not just how important it is to the amount of snow in your area, although that is the main point of the snow load. Having a stronger built roof will give you a stronger built home. The roof is an integral factor of the strength of the entire home. It is like having a heavy half ton truck and you are carrying 800lbs. Sure, it can do it. But a good 1 ton will do it everyday and not get worn out.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Gladey

No, I don't mean West by god Virginia! I mean Almost Heaven! Don't make me start singing Country Roads : )

We've swung back to the Skylines anyways after getting jerked around by the Colony dealer. Also, the Colony had short exterior doors and my husband kept scraping his head! A little thing that would be a huge PITA in a home.

We also want the higher rood load because we might eventually put a metal roof on. We put a metal roof on the pole building we built and we love it. It was super-easy to install, too (and great for rain-water catchment). So a heavier-load roof would be better able to handle the additional weight of the metal sheets.
sharon333

I just help my husband put a metal roof on and I have to say it is worth the effort.