insurance adjusters opinion

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

lefties

adjuster told me washer flooding house and water laying in ductwork wouldnt make floors soft. I told him i disagree,,i said it seeps thru and gets in the insulation and it soaks up. I have one coming tuesday,,,these guys are a real pain in the a--
1997 commodore repo-1450 sq ft.
Harry

Yo

Water will turn a particle board floor to Graham Crackers.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

Give the adjuster the address here, We'll set him straight!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

With particle board floors, if flooded water is not removed and the room dried out immediately, there will be a lot of floor damage. Water in the ducts (only) may not cause floor damage immediately, but it is another issue that should be addressed. Water in the ducts could cause a mold/mildew problem, and while most insurance companies have a clause that say they do not cover mold, the water in the duct is damage to your home that should be covered. There are companies that clean ductwork professionally which should be covered by your insurance.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

If you have a piece of partical board laying around, put it in a bucket of water untill monday, then take it out (if there is anything left) and show him what water does to it. Greg
lefties

wish i did greg :D
lefties

progressive adjuster didnt agree with me on the floors,,although he couldnt say what was going on. He said he didnt think the damage was from the washer overflowing,,maybe a leak,,but I could rip all the carpet up etc and call them back. Told me they also dont cover mold or mildew. Said he was in contracting for 7 yrs b4 this job. Also said the floors may be wavy due to settling. I told him i didnt agree with him,,told him they were of no use to me so they are fired. (and I told him so)
Greg

Are you planning on doing the work yourself? If so it may cost more that it's worth to go through the insurance. I think it's time to do some insurance shopping. Greg
lefties

Yes greg I am. I have already bought the plywood for several rooms. I have had a hard time finding other insurance. formost wont take it because of my acreage or other old buildings or some of the criteria doesnt fit. I told progressive today they are history. They had all kinds of excuses and contradicted themselves etc. :twisted: And I was very assertive with him period,,told him i was no expert and i wasnt born last night either. Trying to get help from them has been a real pain in my a-- I explained about the particle board blah blah blah. I said as you can see I have my own materials because I knew you werent gonna help me,,so what do I need progressive for?
Greg

Check with your auto insurance carrier. I have Allstate, around $250/yr. here. Greg
Yanita

Hey lefties,

You really should call your state insurance commissioners. I did that with a previous homeowner policy. Got what i wanted...well almost!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
lefties

Thanks! :D
Yanita

Hi,

Your welcome...not trying to be a PITA but I am going to move this to the Off Topic forums...yup...this is not about repairs. :lol:

Yanita
JD
Site Admin

I agree with Yanita. I would call the insurance commissioner. They may have a clause about mold, but floors being wavy from water damage is a covered repair. I have worked on literally hundreds of insurance jobs on mobile homes and I think he is trying to get the cost containment award. I would also call your local BBB and file a report with BBBonline. I would put as much heat on them as possible. When you file a report with BBB, progressive will have to respond or they will have an unresolved complaint against them, which is a bad mark. They might not care because they may think they are too big to be effected by a bad BBB report. But at least there will be outside sources shaking their tree, not just you.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

Yup...

I forgot to mention that action, I did that as well as recommended by our insurance commissioners. Please follow through with this...for your benefit and those that will eventually walk in your foot steps!

Keep us posted on this Lefties.

Yanita