Ryobi One Lithium Review

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

JD
Site Admin

I have always been kind of a tool snob. A long time ago I found that you do get what you pay for. There is no magical material or process that allows one manufacturer to produce better equipment for less cost (although a company can choose to make less profit per unit).

But a while back, I received a Ryobi One 18v drill/flashlight kit as a gift. At first it was delegated for helper use, which it saw a lot of. I started using it when I needed to change bits often. I do have quick change chucks, but this was still faster. I found I really liked the Ryobi with the exception of the chuck. It seems to loosen on it's own a lot. Well, a lot of miles went on the old blue Ryobi and it still functions and charges like new. I added to the Ryobi tools set with the circular saw, caulking gun, 5 more batteries (2 are still new in the package) and another charger.

The other day in the middle of putting up an aluminum awning, my DeWalt charger went out. No lights, no nothing. I needed 2 drills for the job, so I ran down to Home Depot to get another Ryobi, so I could use the fully charged batteries I already had at the job. When I got there, I saw the new Ryobi Lithium products, which are fully interchangeable with the old blue Ryobi (except I don't think you can charge the lithium batteries with the old charger). The box says that the lithium batteries has twice the run time of the standard batteries. From my use, I think that may be true. It is a lighter more compact tool, which is nice. It appears to have a new designed chuck, which I am hoping will be better than the old unit. It hasn't let go yet. The old style batteries do work in the new gun, which allowed me to get back to work on the awning right away. But before too long, the new lithiums were fully charged and in use. So far I am very happy with the new tools from Ryobi.

Now I started by saying you get what you pay for. I still believe that is true. The 12v DeWalt XRP has more torque than the 18v Ryobi. The Ryobi is not built nearly as industrial strength as the DeWalt. But that being said, at about half the price of the DeWalt XRP line, I feel that it may be a better value. The fact that I now have a total of 9 batteries and 3 chargers that will work in any of my 4 Ryobi tools (not counting the 2 flashlights), is a big plus.

One side note, I also tried out the $99 12v Ryobi Lithium drill. It is an occasional light use only tool. You can easily stop the chuck with your hand at full power. I doubt that you could bury a sheetrock screw in plywood with it. I would only recommend the 12v for work on electronics or something that does not require power.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

JD I do have to agree. Around here Makita seems to be the "pro's choice", But the guy that I work with on occasion is sold on the Ryobi. Seems he tried to find an 18v lithium battery & charger for his cordless circular saw. the battery & charger cost more than the saw!! I have it sitting right next to me so that if I see one on Ebay I will pick it up for him. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Hi Greg,

I think a single Ryobi lithium battery and charger is $100. I think I would just go with the small kit like I bought. Drill, flashlight, charger and 2 batteries for $179. While the Lithium series is more expensive than the older blue models, they are still a far cry from DeWalt, Makita, Rigid, Milwaukee, etc.

I imagine the charger is more expensive than usual because it is a dual chemistry charger, made to switch from Ni-cad to lithium. That is also why I think the new lithium batteries shouldn't be charged in an old standard charger.

Other things I read about the lithium battery tools is that they don't charge well or at all at temps below 40 degrees. While that is not a factor to me, it may be to our members in colder climates. I figure if I am ever out working in the cold, I can charge batteries inside. I also read one post that said the new lithium batteries burnt out the brushes in this guys old blue Ryobi. But there were several posts debunking that the lithium battery was totally at fault. Maybe his old blue drill was borderline worn out already, I dunno.

One thing I really don't care for is the color of the tool. That electric lime green makes the gun look like it should be more fun than it is. :) Glad it doesn't have pink trim.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

Good info guys,

Hey JD,... :wink: good thing I got a sense of humor, I caught the lime green and pink color combo...for those of you that have never checked out my profile, now you will, LOL.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Many tool manufacturers are making tools in bright colors, Snap on & Mac both make screw drivers with florescent Red , Green & Orange handles for visibility, helps keep you from loosing them (ya right). Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Robert

Those Ryobi tools have attached themselves to a few of us.

I have the old blue set and so does Mark. Have been looking at the Lithiums and just hadn't snatched it up yet, probably will soon though, LOL.

I could tie a 10 ft. string with a bright colored ballon on the end to a tool and still lose it, LOL.

The bright colors help the eyes to see it, but do nothing for the mind to make it look there, LOL.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
JD
Site Admin

More on the Ryobi Lithium system.

The lithium batteries do last much longer than the ni-cad. They claim twice as long but it seems to last longer then that.

Another nice feature is a battery test button on the battery itself. When you push the button, you will get a green/yellow/red light indicating how much charge is in the battery. Many times when I get to the job, I will think my second battery is charged, just to find out when I need it that it is not. Now when I open the case, I can check that battery by pushing the button.

The variable speed feature on this drill is more accurate and responsive than other drills I have tried. The amount of control on turning the drill slowly is incredible.

I think this drill is a winner.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

oldfart

Aye JD I've always been a big Dewalt fan. Matter of fact I wouldn't buy anything but Dewalt cordless tools. They have the ergonomics down pat! They've got more torque than tools twice their voltage. Last longer, work harder and take a beating. I've dropped my old 12vt. Dewalt from 18ft. and put the battery-box back together with Super Glue and it kept right on working. I do have a problem however. The rediculous cost of battery replacement. $60. for a 12vt. battery pack? You've got to be kidding me! I catch them when they're on sale. ($79 for a Dewalt 12vt./case/charger and 2 battery packs...Lowes/True Value) And I even wrote Dewalt and complained. I didn't even get a response. As much as I love the product...I may have to consider others. Audie..the downhearted Oldfart...
bell30655

I only have one cordless drill... It is a five year old Dewalt 24 volt hammer drill. It's the only drill I need or want. I love my Dewalt. They fit the hand well and work great.

Thus far, my battery is still strong. It recharges in about 20 minutes and has never let me down.