Aqua PEX plumbing

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Psaltee

I've been doing some research about PEX related plumbing and am liking what I'm reading. Simply magnificient stuff. It appears that it can be a bit spendy. However, the company that manufactures this Aqua PEX type material provides online training and the opportunity to install this on my own. My misses thinks that this material is rather expensive and is pooh poohing the idea but eventually I believe we'll be going to this PEX type plumbing. Especially after all the rave reviews and the seemingly lifetime warranty. Looking forward to learning more about this AquaPEX tubing. Has anyone plumbed or used this material in heating/air-conditioning? It sounds like this is the best product available even coming out ahead of copper. So what do you all think? Please let me know. I'm interested in your comments.

Kind regards, psaltee
Norm Frechette

I purchased a 2007 mobile home and PEX runs throughout the house

i have no experience working with it

a recent episode of one of the home improvement shows had a segment regarding PEX. it was stated that it was more expensine up front but cheaper on the installation (no soldering etc) thus making it almost equal to copper
jpingram5

I use it all the time. All my builders I do work for, I do HVAC. But the plumbers that work for him all use PEX systems on manifolds. Basically homeruns so there are less joints which could possibly leak & a more even water distribution with the manifold. The most debated thing with PEX is what to uses to make the connections. Some people use a expanding tool, some use a steel ring and some use steel crimp rings. I personally prefer the crimp rings. Pex is easier to work with, quicker to work with and by far now almost the standing water line used in homes. CPVC is cheap & Copper is outrageous anymore.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80
Greg

Remind the misses that EVERYTHING is expensive now (boy did that sound like old man's statement) you get what you pay for. I use PEX when I do any plumbing work. The only recommendation I have is to use the clamp/crimp type fittings. I have had the push lock type fittings leak on me so personally I really don't trust them.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
process_server

I have been slowly replacing the crappy grey PVCB with blue & red PEX over the past 18 months or so. Pretty much, every time I discover a new leak, I fix it with PEX - it'll probably take another couple of years before the whole MH is converted...lol I have been using the quick pressure connectors (SharkBite) but I'm currently researching to learn how to do the more permanent crimp rings. It is more expensive up front, but the anguish you save over leaks as well as the the water cost is well worth it. Home Depot sells PEX in 100' rolls which saves quite a bit when converting an entire MH. Also, just a tip for PEX users, I read a wonderful idea on a similar forum and have found this very useful - PEX allows you the ability to use permanent marker on the lines in order to diagram the lines and/or date them so you know when certain lines or junctions were last installed/repaired. This really helped when I replaced a bathroom toilet and discovered the incoming tank water line was a split from under the sink... go figure...but now in the future I'll know which line under the sink leads to the toilet thanks to a nifty notation written on the water line that says "out to toilet". ;)