heat tape check

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

fairmont

I've read somewhere that there is a way to check an UNPLUGGED heat tape with a multi-meter on "ohms" setting. Check by placing probe to each flat prong (resistance?), and then between one flat and ground prong (continuity?). I can't find information now or what READINGS should be for a good tape.

If above correct and plugged tape pilot light comes on, shouldn't tape be OK? Can anyone help?
Greg

Hi & welcome. There is a formula to figure it out, it depends on wattage. My best advise is make sure there is a connection between flat prongs. If the tape is more 5 years old, don't mess with it. For what they cost if there is any doubt just change it, it's not worth the aggravation of frozen pipes or worse yet a fire.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
fairmont

greg thanks for your thoughts--my heat tape is not exposed to weather 8-9yrs old. I've been told by my reputable mobile home repair person that put on my insulated siding and who has replaced many a heat tape---not to worry? foremost insurance ,a major insurer, does not recommend a time schedule---only to check for detoriation. i tend to agree with you but at 73 not looking forward to a "belly crawl". just trying to figure out .
Greg

Since I can't see it, I would have go with your repair guy's advice. I only throw the 5 year time out because that is a safe bet. Some tapes will go 10-15 years with no problems, others have a hard time making 5.

I feel that if there is any doubt in your mind that it may not make an other year change it just for peace of mind. If you have insulated skirting, that will help a lot. Mark claims that with his insulated skirting it does not freeze under his home in S.Dakota.

Greg
Steve S.

I always check my Frostex by simply wrapping my hand around the line just after it emerges from the pipes, and feel for warmth. Not sure about the resistance test at the plug, I wouldn't worry. My Frostex Plus heat tape is still going strong after 15 years, along with my 23 year-old water heater, and it gets mighty cold up here in Maine. My advice, if you can afford it, buy the top-of-the-line products with good reputations...longer service and less money spent in the long term.
-Steve
ttiiggy

My thoughts on heat tapes in general:
Check it with your hand or a temperature shooter in several places.

If your heat tape is the type that just plugs in and is on, then you can probably check it with an ohm meter. The meter will just tell you that there is a couple of ohms of resistance. Not definitely saying that it is working.

Some heat tapes just have a high resistance wire in series from the power plug to the end of the wire. If it works, it is working all the way to the end. If the wire connection is broke or loose, it won't work at all.

Some heat tapes have a bunch of connections parallel to the power wire. This is more typical of the heat tapes that you can cut to length.
One or more of these cross connections could die and you might have cold spots anywhere along the heat tape.

If your heat tape is one that has a thermostat or temperature control on it, checking with an ohm meter on just the power plug might not tell you much. The controller might be telling the power to go to heat up the wire, but that connection might not be working.
steelworkersgal

Should you unplug your heat tape or just leave it plugged in all year long
You can do anything if you put your mind to
Greg

I DO NOT recommend leaving the tape plugged in all year. Our daughter had weird electrical problems like lights dimming, then a smoke smell. When we opened up the skirting there were flames just starting. This happened on a warm June evening, had it happened a few hours later the results would have been totally different.

That is the reason I say after 5 years, of if there is any doubt in your mind, replace it!

Greg
steelworkersgal

Thank you I did not know what the protocol was on the heat tape
You can do anything if you put your mind to