Water heater question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

LesaT

I have a 2006 Fleetwood mobile home. (16' x 80' ----4 br 2 ba). I have searched every square inch of my mobile home and cannot locate the water heater. Is it possible that it may be located underneath??
Greg

They are usually tucked behind a panel in the master bedroom closet. Look for a panel held in place with screws.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

I have not seen them on newer models but on older models some of them have a separate door outside that leads to the hot water closet.
Just a thought.

Ron
DaveyB

Fleetwood actually have floor plans available on the web - click here for a direct link, enter your zip or city/state and they will show the plans available for that area. You should find your model number listed and a quick study of the plan will reveal the hiding place!

The hard way of doing it is to create a floor plan piece by piece and check every measurement - you are looking for a space about 2'x2' that is unaccounted for. As Ron mentioned, it is commonly in a bedroom, although not necessarily the master bedroom. Look at the closets and find one that doesn't run the full width of the room by about 2', usually on an outside wall, then look inside that closet for a panel with screws in it. If there is now panel in the closet, then examine the outside wall at that point for a door there.

Hope that helps!

DaveyB
╔═╗
║T║HINK
╚═╝
Greg

Outside doors are usually reserved for gas water heaters.

Greg
1987Commodore

Here's one clue:
It will be closest to the faucet that takes the least time to get hot water when turned on. Gives you an idea as to where to concentrate the search.
Mine's behind a panel in the master bath closet.
DaveyB

Greg wrote:Outside doors are usually reserved for gas water heaters.
Agreed Greg, however if it had been converted to electric, it may still have the outside door and no interior access panel. :idea:
╔═╗
║T║HINK
╚═╝
Greg

I am assuming that an '06 home would still have the original water heater, unless they have the water that we used to have.

Greg