slate / stone floors

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

DannyBob

IF slate / stone can be placed on floors w/ a cement base ( REAL HOUSE !!!) ...

and , IF stone can be used in "Pier & Beam" houses ...

then ::: ??? whynot cant stone / slate be used in TRAILERS ???
kashton

Depend on what is already on the floor. I would want it in my place cause of the weight. Not enough support on the uderside to have that weight on the top side. The underside would sag under that kind of weight.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
Yanita

Hi DannyBob,

Welcome to the site.

To answer your questions... first not all real (traditional) homes are set on concrete, those that are, are fine all the weight rest on the ground. For those that have traditional floor joist they are generally bigger joist to accommodate the extra weight.

Pier and Beam...do you mean Post and Beam? These structures are very strong, the post can average anywhere from 8 inches square to much larger.

A mobile homes exterior walls sit directly on the outer edge of the floor on a sill plate. This sill plate is held up with out riggers that are under the home. Many older homes do do even have out riggers. The outer walls of a MH have no support to sustain the weight. Thus causing the floors to flex or bow, and even cause roof damage from the floors sustaining damage.

Most mobile homes have nothing larger than 2x6 floor joist opposed to the traditional home that uses 8 inch or larger. Most traditional homes have 3/4 plywood sub floors where MH have particle/press board at best.

I will leave you with a link that shows the construction of a singlewide mobile home.

Our homes are built and set up to be able to shift with the seasons as well as ride down the road at 60mph!

To have all the weight of stone is detrimental to the structure. And the shifting will cause the grout to crack and depending on the tile/stone will also crack.

Here's your link... http://www.mygreathome.com/fix-it_guide/diagram.htm

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Jim from Canada

But it can be done in small areas.

JimImage
Yanita

Hi Jim,

Your right, it can be done in small areas. But with the amount of info I had in the original post I assumed he was referring to entire floor coverage.

Also for those that choose to put tile/stone in entry ways, make sure that you have the correct blocking under the home. It is not uncommon for that area to not be blocked properly in the original set up.

JMO,

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

Hi folks,

Let's keep one more very important factor here in mind. Manufactured and mobile homes are set up to move somewhat! That's just a very basic design that we can't get away from! This is where the biggest problems turn up with with tile, slate and stone. The tile, stone or slate has a very good chance of cracking with the movement. At best, you'll be repairing grout for the life of the home.

Here's my thought on tile, stone or slate. I small areas it will work okay in our homes. But, keep in mind that all of our homes need to be releveled at some point. That could cause damage to tile, stone and slate areas.

Personally, we're try to keep our home with low upkeep for the future, but we're looking at retirement and not more renovations down the road.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Brenda (OH)

there are some really good looking sheet products that come in stone patterns, and the higher end grades can be put down free floating except for high traffic areas. I have even seen ones that have the "stones" raised up from the surface compared to the "grout".

the flooring is water resistant, not heavy, and warmer underfoot than tile or stone. down side, i have heard thinner, lower price grades can get torn or gouged if an appliance or heavy furniture is dragged across them.

I have been checking out flooring at wholesalers, and there are more and more types of flooring every year. I was so behind the time, I still thought laminate flooring was very new and special lol

installing flooring is the next thing I will be learning to do, unless I meet someone that works really, really reasonable lol

Brenda
PennylessZ28

I just got a a pallet of free tile, so now I can't use it? I planned on tiling my bathroom floors. the are 12x12 pieces of flagstone tile. Quite beautiful.
Greg

Nobody said you could not use tile, what we said was that by using it you may be opening a can of worms down the road. Done correctly in small areas you may not have a problem. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Greg is right. I imagine a person could do most anything they put their minds to. I feel that we are trying to say that some things are prone to complications and even failure in mobile homes. With respect to tile, just installing tile with backer board on the typical MH floor is asking for trouble. But a capable person could ensure that the floor joists are adequate for the job, replace all particle board with 3/4" ply and add additional support by way of extra beams and piers to support most any floor. I think it will still have a tendency to have cracked grout just because of the movement inherent in mobile homes.

I have added beams and piers to stop vibrations from a huge front load washer and dryer set. I have also replaced particle board with plywood, added additional blocking and beams and piers for a nice lady who just had to have her grand piano in her living room.

Again, most anything can be done with the right plan, but for the most part, when doing these things you need to accept that there are risks or maybe just shortcomings that you may have to deal with, like cracks in grout, a re-occuring leveling problem and at the worst, damage to the home.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Maureen

When it comes to tile, slate and stone floors, I only speak from experience. My youngest brother has been a tile setter for 30 years.

We both live in mobile homes, and have, for just about as many years. He refuses to place any tile, slate or stone on his floors. otr mine. He knows better! Just the normal ground movement, due to small ground tremors in a stick built can cause damage to solid floors. Couple that with ground heave during freezing temps, either in stick built or mobiles, keeps him in business and doing quite well, just with repairs! Depending on your area, this really isn't a mobile home specific question so much as what area of the globe to you live in?

If you don't live in an area that freezes, or you don't deal with earth quakes, you might have better luck! Flooring is pretty tricky in our homes!

Pennyless, if you got a free pallet of flagstone tile, you have to ask yourself this question. How great is free is it going to cause damage to your home? That's only a question you can answer! Free can cost you some bucks down the road. Just ask Greg about his free dishwasher LOL! Okay so that was cosmetic... but ya get the idea.

In my opinion, solid surfaces in our homes do quite well in small areas, entry ways, counter tops (sometimes), and back splashes.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Greg

Free, Somehow I just knew that would haunt me, it only cost a little over $2000. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
PennylessZ28

It came from a crazy rich women I've been working for, for about 3 months.

Taking forever. But she's been throwing away so much high end stuff, I've been getting free goodies for awhile. Got two 32 inch Sony TV's that work perfectly. She just didn't want them. I sold them on craigslist for 100 bucks each. Got a new lawn mower, (shes moving into a condo) got free this, that, and this. My g/f had a feild day with all the clothing. I swear, this women had a shoe store in her home.

Anywho, no such thing as a free puppy right?

I might just lay regular laminate down and build a fancy fountain, ooohhhh ahhhhh.

Just couldn't pass it up.
Harry

Hi

Tile and stone in a MH - been there done that.

It is not a good idea for all the reasons previously stated.... especially for me and my family ...we have some large people. The floors move too much under our heavy feet.

Even plywood will flex more over time than when new. That spot where you get out of the shower or that spot on the floor where you stand in front of the kitchen sink will flex more over time than when it was new.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?