Weird Water Pressure problem......Help plz?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mattpik2

Ok... heres a wierd problem.... i have low water presser on all faucets on the cold side.... good on all on the hot side.... turn on one cold and the rest of the system presure bottems out to a trickle on the rest of the cold side(except for whatever faucet is on) and drops the hot to a lower (but not extreamly low) pressure.... i know one of the promlems is it come out of the ground 3/4"galv to 3/8"copper to final (the home) 1/2" poly (grey stuff)... so basicly what is going on here? why do i have good hot but bad cold pressure and can i back-flush the entire system from the faucets to solve the problem? :!:
Greg

Hi & welcome. It sounds to me like a restriction somewhere between the "T" for the hot water tank supply & the first faucet. If you have any valves check them first. It may also be a crimped tube also. You could try back flushing it may be the easiest.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

The pipe and fittings should all be 3/4" to the T where it splits off to the water heater and cold supply. To get even more volume to the farthest faucets, you could run a 3/4" cold water trunk line to feed 1/2" pipe going to the faucet and shut offs.

If you had good pressure before and now it is having problems, then a kink or other problem has happened in the line, as Greg said. If you are looking at the home for the first time and it has this water flow problem, it may be that 3/8" copper you mentioned. PB pipe does not usually get the build up in the lines like galvanized does. Galvy can build up calcium, lime and rust to the point where it needs replaced. Think PEx.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
mattpik2

yea i just bought the MH in febuary... i thought it was a good deal, 1996 Liberty 80x16 (for $2000) its livable but the water problem is just plane weird, there are no shutoffs in the home, just the main from the park... i was under the home and the 1/2" poly feed line to the tee is not kinked... talked to the old owner and she said its always been that way since she owned it (from 2007) i am going to check the cold coming off the tee when the snow melts again..
DaleM

Some of the older homes have a 3/4" cold feeding into a 1/2" manifold or series of 1/2" tees feeding the cold faucets throughout the home. I suspect construction debris caught at the inlet side of that manifold. You could cut the 3/4" line below that and hope whatever it is just falls out, if not, while it's cut, open the highest faucet on the cold side and the backflow should push the crud out. Good luck.