Re-pipe cost ?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

aaroncgi

Hi all. What would be a reasonable cost to have a 24 x 48 Kentwood re-piped (PEX or copper, we're not picky). it has Qest Polybutylene piping now. So far estimates have ranged from $9,000 to $12,000! We're in the Seattle/Tacoma area, if that helps (Pierce County). We have two full bathrooms, laundry room, and kitchen, plus faucets attached to the house outside the kitchen and master bathroom.

Here's the back story for those so inclined. My wife and I have been mostly happy owners of a 1986 Kentwood 24 x 48 manufactured home for about eight years. Up until roughly 16 months ago, the only significant problems we had were a failed heat pump and minor furnace repair. We now just use straight furnace elements, which is a bit more pricey in the winter, but works fine. However, last year we started having major plumbing issues. Our water heater, only about 7 years old, failed due to a leak underneath it (or maybe it was just a poor WH ?). At the same time, we had another leak on the opposite side of the house. About four months ago we had yet another leak under our master bathroom shower. And just last night a fourth leak sprung up in the same line going to the master bathroom, only about six feet from the last leak.

I won't get into the obscene amounts we've paid to fix these leaks. Let's just say I think we have found a much more reasonable plumber, and better yet, he's right down the street from us. Regardless, each of the two or three plumbers we've had out, has recommended that we re-pipe the entire house. We haven't gone for that because the estimates so far have seemed insane to us, for a house that may be worth $35-40k if we're very lucky. But if we're going to have a leak spring up every few months, that's no fun either, and fixing the issues permanently starts to look a lot more attractive. We're having the new plumber out today and will get a third re-pipe estimate, but wanted to get the collective opinion. As mentioned above, estimates so far have been $9,000 to $12,000, and that didn't include fixing the drywall inside!

Finally, it's notable that we don't plan to be in this house that many more years, probably five years at the most. That's another reason we've been very hesitant to spend this kind of cash to re-pipe, when we'll see almost none of that money returned in the sale.
Greg

Well I may not be much help. You have a few options to consider.

Re plumb everything. Since you seem to be springing leaks that may be the most efficient way to do the repairs. Personally I would use PEX. Now if you stop and think about it Most of the cost is LABOR. It is not really a hard job or requires a high skill level. You could easily do the job I would guess for around $500-600.

You could keep "putting out fires" as they crop up, Just repair what is needed at the moment. You may find that you are making repairs in the same areas repeatedly or you may do a repair and never have to touch it again. It's a crap shoot, Feeling lucky???

I think personally that given the history I would open up the belly, replace everything and be done with it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

It is usually hard to scrutinize prices without knowing what all is included in their estimate, but at those prices, I would be looking for all new faucets, supply lines, hose bibs, everything and it would still be much higher than I could recommend paying. I do re-pipe here in Central Valley, California for around $3,000. That is for a 2 bath set up from a source next to the home up to and including a new shut-off valve (where appropriate). If you need garden hose bibs, have a wet bar or something extra like that, there would be additional charges, but we are talking in hundreds, not thousands. Also, if the skirting is not accessible (brick, painted wood), there would additional charges because of the extra time it takes to do the work.

I am originally from Seattle and was just up there a few months ago. I would think our cost of living rates would be close to the same. I couldn't get $9,000 to re-pipe in San Francisco, where a 80's era double wide could cost over $100,000 to buy.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
kailor

Greg is spot-on. Spend $500-$600 on PEX, buy a book on plumbing and do it yourself.
Thanks!
Two 14x66's
JD
Site Admin

Something I forgot to mention. In all my years of mobile home repair, I have found that plumbing companies do not like to replace or repair the underbelly material that they open up to perform the work. You want to be sure whoever does the work, that they repair the underbelly and insulation properly.

And $500-$600 for materials and doing the work DIY will certainly save you money. But the balance is not "free". There is a lot of very uncomfortable work to be done under the home and there can be a confidence issue for first timers. I gave estimates for plumbing and roof work today and I can guarantee you that these customers are not climbing up on the roof or under their home. But for those that are willing, there are a lot of great people here to help you through your project.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

JD, I agree that many times the work is not a lot of fun, but I am sure that for $9K I could learn to LOVE IT!!!! For that kind of money I MIGHT just consider a road trip for a few weeks.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
aaroncgi

Wow, thanks for all the great replies so quickly, much appreciated!

We had the new plumber out on Tuesday - he lives two blocks away from us. It became painfully obvious that we should have been dealing with him all along. His cost to repair our leak was a meager $134, several times less than the last company. At this rate, we can deal with leaks as they pop up, until we're ready for the re-pipe. We're in the middle of remodeling the entire interior, and the bathrooms are last on the list, so still a ways off. We'd like to put off the re-pipe until that point if possible. The plumber seemed highly knowledgeable and was the general contractor for all of WA state back in the 90's when the class-action lawsuit for the PB pipe was going on. They were doing 40+ re-pipes per month. The best part, his estimate for re-piping was only about $3700. Needless to say our jaws dropped at that figure. That's eminently more affordable than $9000+ !

DIY is an option which we'll look into. We all love saving money. I'll probably get a book and read up on what all is entailed. We've done quite a lot of DIY already, including rebuilding porches, replacing light fixtures and outlets, replacing faucets, and running wires, just to start. As was mentioned, it's more of a confidence issue, and it's rather uncomfortable work. I've been under the house numerous times and it is no fun. Plus there's a bit of a time factor. We don't like to go without running water any longer than is necessary, less than a day ideally. So unlike repainting, building a porch, or replacing a floor, with plumbing, everything has to be in and sealed before the water goes back on. So you can't exactly stretch out the process over weeks or months. And it's not like we don't have a million other projects to occupy our time.