Installing Home Depot/Lowes windows...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

CDG

Hello all,

I just bought a 2000 Homes of Merit in Florida. The home needs some TLC....In the kitchen on the roof had an exhaust fan which leaked water onto the exterior board.. The Roof board is how thick?

Now to the window.. We removed all the drywall and insulation.....The home use to have a corner sink which takes up way to much space in the kitchen. There is one of those aluminum mobile home windows which is 301/2 by 301/2. I want to move the window to where we are going to put the new sink. At Home depot they have a 35 5/8 by 25 5/8 double pane glass. Now the crazy thing, I bought 4 2 x 6 studs to frame out the new window and also reinforce the area since I have to cut a stud to put in the window...The boards are not 2x6 it is 2x5 who the hell makes 2x5 studs........

Also the aluminum windows has a lip for the vinyl siding looking at the windows at home depot and lowes does not.....
Northern Star

CDG wrote: The Roof board is how thick?
Probably 7/16" OSB, but I would verify that before going out and buying any.
CDG wrote: The boards are not 2x6 it is 2x5 who the hell makes 2x5 studs........
A standard 2x6 is really only 1 1/2" x 5 1/2". http://www.engineersedge.com/commercial ... _sizes.htm

If yours is really only 5", it wouldn't be too hard to rip them down on a table saw.
CDG

Probably 7/16" OSB, but I would verify that before going out and buying any.

Expecting rain on my next day off from work..... thanks

A standard 2x6 is really only 1 1/2" x 5 1/2". http://www.engineersedge.com/commercial ... _sizes.htm

I always laugh at that......To me that is false advertising...lol
Greg

Lumber is sized rough cut at the mill, not the finished size. You may need to rip a 2x6 down if you have to, no big deal. You may want to double up the top & bottom plate when you frame the new window in.

As for the vinyl you will need J channel to trim it out, just like a stick built house.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
CDG

Thanks both for answering...Is it the same j channel as for ext. doors....U
Greg

"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
joedirt63

you could look for new constuction vinle windows i know home depot has them they have the j channel built into them. just a thought, i used them on my 14x60 single
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me