MAJOR tub faucet leak

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Denise

OK, I did search past posts for this information. That's how I know to ask, "is this a washer/washerless faucet?"

I have Mark's book, but I'm not into doing a full remodel. It's leaking heavy enough to only have lukewarm water. I am going to replace both 'insides' I will turn off the water at the street and I also read that I should tune off the waterheater???? I've done this in a 'regular' house 20 years ago...so, I just need to be sure I pick the right method of repair. Thanks for the help. I'm posting a pix of the faucet, I hope. :?
Denise

My first attempt at resize....

BTW this is a 1998 Fleetwood D/W.
Greg

Denise, It looks like a basic tub faucet to me. Personally,I would just replace the faucet and be done with it. You don't need to do a remodel to change the faucet, but you do need to get to the back side of the faucet. If you have an access panel it's easy, if not you can make one or possibly remove the wall panel.

The water will need to be turned off and it would be a good time to add a few shutoff valves. I would turn off the water heater when you do it, it is too easy to shut it off rather than risk damaging the heater.

You should have at the very least a Main shut off valve that you can get to fast and shut the whole system off. I like to have at least one on the water heater so you don't need to drain the tank off to do this type of work. There are some that have valves for every faucet as well. For the Main valves I recommend either Brass or stainless 1/4 turn ball valves or Brass Gate valves. Don't use plastic bodied valves, they tend to fail when you need them. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
1987Commodore

With any luck you will have an access panel directly behind the faucet, At most, you may have to remove a wall panel in the room behind the faucet. The easiest thing to do would be to replace the whole faucet assembly with a similar mobile home unit. I have a Do It Best hardware here that carries them. They are very cheap. If you don't have shut offs at the fixtures, you will have to shut off the main supply valve, and probably drain the hot water tank if you don't have a shut off after the tank. Turn off the power to the water tank (electric,) or turn the gas valve to "pilot." You don't want to heat an empty tank. Severe damage could result. There will be three water connections to unscrew on the back of the faucet, the hot and cold incoming, and the line to the shower head. Then there should be two plastic nuts holding the faucet assembly to the wall.
Denise

Thank you for your help. I don't think I said what I mean, LOL!

I guess I don't really want to replace the faucet. I want to take the handles off, replace the stem, washers/no washers, probably grind down the seat a bit then reassemble the handles and the water flow stops. Are the stems on this type of MH tub faucet available at Lowe's or Home Depot? Or, are these type stems you can only get at a MH repair business?

:cry: There is no access panel. To get to the backside, I'd have to tear out the wall in the bedroom next to the bathroom. I'll let you know when I win the lottery! When I "remodel" any of you that wants this place can haul it off...LOL

Thanks.. :D

0830 Fri 1-7-2011
Well, have the stems out on off to the local hardware to see if I can get replacements...the rubber 'o'rings are torn and flat. So, maybe, if they don't have the whole unit I'll change out the washers (3). I would much rather replace the whole stems.
Denise

:D Mission Accomplished! After going to several plumbing stores, Lowe's and Home Depot and a Mobile Home Parts outlet there was not a replacement stem anywhere. At one of the plumbing stores they replaced the washers and 'O' rings and they work!! I hear silence and have hot water. This spring/fall I'll probably replace the faucet with a 'regular' one. This weekend with 5-8 inches of snow in the forecast was just not the best time. It will have it's own right time soon enough.
chablis

Actually, I had the best luck at a plumbing supply store when I redid a similar faucet. I sincerely hope you didn't have a leak UNDER the faucets as I did, which ruined my bathroom floor. It was under the tub enclosure, and went unnoticed until it pretty much dissolved a good part of the bathroom floor.
Chablis