Leaky Joint

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

adr1209

My husband and I have recently added a back deck with a screened enclosure and roof to our house. It leaks at the point where the two roofs meet. We have used flashing, but it still leaks. My husband seems to think that the roof isn't sloped enough and the water is running back onto the porch. Any ideas?
MacAttack

Not having seen it, these things come to mind -
* Does the prevailing wind blow rain into the cracks? This happened on my house.
* Does the flashing go over or under the porch roof? Could water be sneaking in that way?
* Is the slope at least 2 in 12? (2" slope per foot)
You could likely seal it with elastomeric sealant (available at HD and Lowes among other places).
JD
Site Admin

If it is low pitch that is allowing rain to blow up the pans to the hanger track, you may be able to find foam plugs, called bug plugs, to install under the flashing.

The flashing itself should be seated firmly against the J channel if this is a metal roof or under the nose edging if it is a comp shingle roof.

I have also seen awnings where the pitch was pretty flat and the flashing was kind of forced into the gap between the awning and J channel. This caused the flashing to develop a bow in it that would channel water sideways, where it would come in and leak at the flashing joints.

A picture would help a lot.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Harry

Hi adr

I had the same thing happen to me that you describe.

We fixed it by changing to flashing 18" wide.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?