Is it a bad idea

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Instead of using traditional batting insulation under the home in between the joists. What if you ripped some foam board like 2 inches thick and glued it to your sub floor because then animals cant climb in there and try to make a home? If you do use foam board under the belly. Has anyone tried this?
Archie

While the foam board may be easier to install it will not offer the same R value as the fiber glass insulation. It will also not likely stop any critters from entering under the home as most can chew or claw through it fairly easily. The best deterrent for animals is to make sure the skirting does not have holes or gaps for them to get under the home.
Experience is what you get after you need it.
JD
Site Admin

Like Archie said, the skirting is your first and main line of defense against critters. Another other thing to consider is the cost. In order to achieve R19, you would be paying about $1.65 per square foot. That is over $2000 for a standard doublewide. Also, in order for the foam board to be effective, it would have to be cut and installed with no gaps. That would actually be a lot harder than it sounds. If perfect skirting is not enough to stop pests, maybe chicken wire under the vapor barrier would work. That would also be kind of pricey though.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Harry

Hi

I agree with Archie and JD.

I have seen wire over the bellywrap to keep out critters. The kind of wire they make rabbit cages out of. We have lots of critters down here.

In addition to the skirting I use mothballs and I have one of those electronic sonic deterrents from Homedepot setting in my HVAC duct. Some say they don't work but I'm not taking it out...been there 3 years now.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

LOL,

well it can't work that well...the bug is still running around in your avatar!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Barb P

LOL @ Yanita :D
BarbP