Ceiling

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

AddyFL

Hi Everyone,

I have an 86 DW Fleetline. The interior ceilings are a board with a plastic strip that covers the nails/screws over the joist. I am not sure what you call this type of ceiling ?

I had two different drywall contractors look at the ceiling:

The first one suggested to sheet rock over the exsiting ceiling and then spray a knockdown texture to improve the look of the ceiling.

The second one suggeted to take down all the strips of plastic over each joist. He would then mud them and sand. After that he would texture the ceiling.

My question is: Has anyone used a 3/8 or 1/2 sheet rock and gone over this type of ceiling?

Does anyone have any experience with either of these suggestions?

I would appreciate any feedback or ideas ?

Thanks Tom
DoubleWideDrama

I'm sure more experienced people will be along soon with better advice, but from what I've read you should never put double layers of anything due to moisture. Also, the weight of the double layers could be too much for the roof to hold. We had a similar issue and we ended up taking the ceiling out and replacing it. You can also check out the condition of your insulation if you do it that way and replace if needed.

Good luck!
Tara
ponch37300

Not sure what you have now since you just said "a board" but drywall is heavy and so it the mud for taping it. You don't want to have the weight of 2 ceilings hanging up there, especially if you live where you get snow on your roof. My suggestion would be to either take down what you have if you want to drywall it or you could look for a wood paneling if you can find something that would look good on the ceiling. Wood paneling is light weight but might not find something that will look nice on ceiling, drywall joints might crack if your trailer shifts or settles at all.
Greg

I have removed the old ceiling and put up 3/8" sheetrock. This will also give you a chance to check the trusses & Insulation as well as check for any leaks from the inside. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Brenda (OH)

what do folks think about the bead board pattern paneling on the ceiling? it is the weight of paneling, looks very country/old fashioned, and it is available preprimed and you could paint it before you install it...

Brenda (OH)
Greg

I think that it may work on a raised ceiling, but I doubt it would look right on a flat ceiling since you would need at least 12' long panels. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
DCDiva

We do many of our ceilings this way--we put up drywall or paneling --like in the photo-- we do not tape the seams--we have rentals and if we need to get to plumbing/wiring--we can take down the 4 x 8 panel or replace very easy--we cover the seam w the 1 x 4 boards--this is in our family room
If the photo is too big--usually is can not figure it out--right click on view photo or got this link
http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandin ... leid=en_US
Melissa
Arlo

Diva I had thought about doing that to cover the popcorn I have. It looks terrific! More pictures of your projects when you get a chance!
DCDiva

Thanks--i have many albums of the houses we have remodeled--we buy houses and redo to rent out--I know repairs are expensive but if people would just save a few dollar a week and fix things--most of the places no one will buy due to repairs,than would cost a few dollars--like I said in other post our current project is 2 old mh--have to remodel due to can not replace--zoning laws--mh remodeling is similar to a house--will post more photos of the mh redo--we have had snow storms every few days--they are 3 hours away-- so we have not worked on them since the week of Mlk day--we totally replaced the floor in that week
Melissa