Garbage disposale

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

squirt13

My disposal does not work any longer. A coin got stuck in it and I think the motor is fired. When I was checking it out I noticed that it is not hot wired but plugs in under the sink. Can I just buy a new one and wire it with a plug?
Harry

Hi

Yes you can.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Maureen

Hi Squirt,

Disposers can be purchased that plug in under the sink. as Harry mentioned.

It's an easy install and should take under an hour.

One word of advice though, replacing the disposal won't cure human error. There is no reason that coins should go down there at all! As a matter of fact, very little food should go down a disposer, in my opinion! A disposer is used to grind up the small stuff only!

If you can't govern everything put down the sink, there are stainless steel baskets available that fit in drains. These work wonderful! Yes, you do have to clean these out regularly! But they work better than replacing appliances or trying to unclog drains!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Archie

Most likely the new disposal will not come with a plug. You will either need to use the one from the old unit or make/buy a new one. Same goes for dishwashers and dryers.
Experience is what you get after you need it.
Greg

It sound like you have what is called a batch type of disposer, if you have to put to put the stopper in and turn it to turn it on it is a batch type, a little more expensive and harder to find than a continuous type. but in my opinoin a better & safer disposer. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."