Leaking hot water line under kitchen floor!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jcarr492

We have a hot water leak under our kitchen floor. We have a 2000 DW(5bd, 3ba). the water lines under the house are a 1/2" clear looking line, flexible. Not sure what it is called. The leak is coming from the 90 joint that is connecting the horizontal line to the vertical line. My husband removed the joint, took off the old line where he cut it at off the joint, cleaned it up and reinstalled the cut line onto to. He put on new clamps as the ones that were on there were crappy. He tightened them up as tight as he could and its still leaks. So he took them back off and put a little calking around the male ends then reinstalled the line back on and the clamps. After waiting a while for it to dry...we turned on the water and its STILL leaking. We're at a loss what to try next. We are not plumbers, but it doesn't seem like something that should be so difficult!! Help!!
Greg

Hi & welcome. The lines that you are working with are most likely PEX, White in color. The clamps are a crimp type clamp that use a special tool to make the crimp. Many hardware stores, Lowes, Home depot and others sell a pushlock fitting called Gator tooth and Shark tooth. Many here (myself included) have used this style fitting, You simply make sure that the ends of the tube is cut square and push the fitting into place and it self locks into place. These fittings work an many types of pipe & tubes. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I think Greg meant to say Shark Bite (Home Depot) or Gator Bite (Lowe's). PEx does come in clear tubing as well. When using either "bites", be sure to use the plastic insert that comes with the fitting. PEx 1/2" is the same as copper pipe size 1/2". You are looking for a 1/2" x !/2" elbow. Hose clamps will not work for very long on PEx pipe.

Home Depot rents the PEx tools and sells the fittings if you wanted to do a crimp fitting. But the "bites" will be cheaper for one fitting and I have full confidence in them. Used them many times. I use them for temp caps when doing floor and plumbing repairs. Reusable fittings, yea!!

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
bguy49

Wonder how the 'Bites' compare to the Menards 'Watts' fittings? Good,
Bad, or Ugly?
Greg

They may all be the same type, different name. I just googled "Shark tooth fitting" and it took me to "shark Bite fitting". Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Northern Star

I have several of the Watts brand fittings in place for over 3 years without any problems. They are incredibly easy to use.