New PEX Fittings, No Crimper Needed

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

busybee1952

My hardware store carries these new fittings for the Pex plumbing and I'm told you don't even need the crimpers. Has anyone tried these?
JD
Site Admin

One of my suppliers showed me a new line of fittings that you just shove the pipe in to. No crimp or expansion tools. Personally, I had less confidence in these fittings than I do with compression fittings, which I also so not recommend. I would certainly not recommend them for behind the wall of under floor installation. I do see where they would have appeal to a DIY because of ease of use. But using crimps are easy once you get the hang of it and you will know you did the job right. JMO

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
hvac1000

I gave a class on Flair It fittings awhile back. They were very easy to use but are not intended to be placed behind a wall. I have used them in my home and they seem to hold up well.

http://www.flair-it.com/
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
HouseMedic

Busybee might be talking about SharkBite fittings. I have heard they work very well but would still not use them behind a wall. Plus they are very costly. Heard they are great for fast repairs, they work on all pipes. (copper,cpvc,pex, polyB) I have not used them myself but this is what I have heard...

Ron
Robert

Hi,

I have to agree with JD on this one. Here's how I look at these when they arrive on the scene.

Everyone who uses them or feels they're ok, advise to not use behind a wall.

That's because if they fail, you can't get to them quickly and you cannot regularly inspect them.

Out in the open though will give same result IF you're not home.

Too easy for a blow out due to failure and the pex crimp rings are proven to hold and be done with.

The only expense is the crimpers, but they can be rented or buy the DIY crimper for occassional use that Mark sells.

Due to damage that a failure can cause, I want best chance at avoiding that.

Just my thoughts, others may feel different.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Last edited by Robert on Wed May 16, 2007 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
busybee1952

Thanks Everyone. I have taken your advice and have gone with the regular Pex fittings. I have purchased everything I need to repair my waterlines and will rent the crimpers on Friday night. If everyone will please send good plumbing repair vibes to me on Sat., I might actually have water in my home again after 5 long months! Keep your fingers crossed for me and thanks again!
Robert

Hi,

Be sure to get a go-no go gauge and test every crimp.

Also, get some type clamp or anything that opens enough to go around the pipe, then close up against pipe.

Place it on pipe just under where the crimp ring will go.

This will hold ring from sliding down pipe for you to get crimper on it.

Crimp, remove clamp and move to next joint after checking with go-nogo.

Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
homebuff

I agree using the crimped ones behind the wall but i see no sense in using the crimped style under sinks & by the toilets. The others are easy to install. I've had to install 3 so far under my vanities & by the toilet. I wish i could afford those crimpers. They are high. i have a bag of the crimp rings though.
Robert

Hi,

The 3 sizes homeowners crimper Mark sells is not as high and the other styles can often be rented.

If you ever experience one of those ~easy~ fittings failing, it will become real clear why we do not recommend them.

Robert
homebuff

:wink: Thanks Robert I'll keep an eye on those fittings just to be safe. I used the crimped fitting style in the belly of the trlr. one time when a hotwater line leaked. made a mess & ruined my insulation. Now i have a 3x3 hole under there that i have'nt got around to fixing yet. Trying to find the correct material to patch it properly. :)
Yanita

Hi,

Mark has patching material for sale in the BOOKS/PARTS link above.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!