Building Low Rise Steps

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

squirt13

I am wanting to build low rise steps on my house but I can not find any plans for them. Because of the way my deck is to my driveway I will probably have to make them in a L-shape. I have seen them on different homes around my area but I need help with plans for building them.
Yanita

Hi,

I just checked your profile and you are on leased land. If you are in a park, you might want to check with management before you start anything.

You could also need a building permit and inspection of this project per codes of your area.

I know that Lowe's has many free deck/step plans, and will also give you a list of all building supplies. Maybe if you could take a pic of the steps you like and bring to your local Lowe's. Also check out this site http://www.buildeazy.com , you might find something there, or just a quick google search of step designs/plans.

Have a great night,

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

Hi Squirt,

I've also seen these around here! I know that JD constructed similar stairs a few years ago. Maybe he would be kind enough to come up with plans for these types of steps.

I've also looked for these types of plans online. They are no where to be found! I need wider steps going into the back door and up to the front deck. We've got senior friends and a our puppy that is having a hard time getting up and down those normal stairs at 7 to 8 inches.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
JD
Site Admin

I have pictures of 3 different low rise steps in my personal album. The only real difference in them is the hand rail, one redwood, one vinyl, one wrought iron.

We don't use plans or anything other than a couple of basic rules. The height of the landing should be 1" below the door. Each home will be slightly different in height, usually measuring between 28 and 32 inches. We build our steps so each step is the same height, so the riser may be 3-5/8 or 4-1/4, whatever. When planning your cuts, realize the first and last step will be different to compensate for the thickness of the tread. It helps to draw out a story board on the plywood or 2x4. If you are making redwood or choice dek steps, it is even easier to cut the stringers.

Now here is the key to the perfect step. You take the height of the riser x 2, plus the depth of the tread, and it should add up to 25". On standard steps you have 7" risers and 11" tread. So 2x7=14 plus 11=25. A 3.5" step, 2x3.5=7, tread = 18". This formula will make your steps comfortable and safe. An able body person can take these steps in stride and not feel like they are awkward. Someone needing the short rise step has plenty of room to double step each step or even to use a walker on them.

Hope this helps.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
JD
Site Admin

Oh, and one more thing. The steps we usually build for folks in mobile home parks are the plywood steps with carpet. This is just what they ask for. Anyways, the driveway or ground that the steps will be going on is not usually level. We build our steps to fit with the slope of the ground where it will be set. If you are building plywood steps, always use 2x4 pressure treated wood for a base. Not a requirement on concrete (in my area), but still builds a better step. It also gives us something to frame to behind the plywood.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Manitoba Bill

Maureen wrote:Hi Squirt,

I've also looked for these types of plans online. They are no where to be found! I need wider steps going into the back door and up to the front deck. We've got senior friends and a our puppy that is having a hard time getting up and down those normal stairs at 7 to 8 inches.

Maureen 8)
It may not work for everyone, but one should consider making a ramp instead of steps, especially for us older folks and fur-pets.
I made mine for my bike shop and then used it at the back door.

It has a few problems in the winter, but when I paint it I sprinkle sand into the wet paint. Or maybe 1/4" slats for grip.

Easy to shovel off snow, makes it easy to use a 2-wheeler with firewood, pull up my lawnmower onto the deck for repair, and appliances, etc.

All I used was 3 2x4's and 3/4" plywood and deck screws. I made it just wide enough to slide in between the 2 handrails where the old steps were.
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
JD
Site Admin

As Bill said, a ramp or low rise steps would depend on a person's needs and preferences. But while on the subject, while I had always built whatever a person asked for, I did have one customer ask for a bid on a ramp. He was a senior that was in the VA hospital because he just broke his hip. He said he would need it to be able to get back into his home when released in a month or so. The next day I got a call from the VA, where the Dr had said he would be needing low-rise steps and to call his physical therapist. She said that my customer would be able to walk with a walker before being released and low rise steps would be better and easier for him to use. She said with a hip injury, he would be able to just lean his body to be able to swing his foot up to the next step, whereas on a ramp, he would be dragging his toe on his bad side as he went up the ramp. The customer then agreed to the steps and really liked them when he got home. He said it was just like the one he used in physical therapy.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

Maureen

Thanks JD and Bill!

That's precisely why I want the wider tread, low rise steps. We already have several relatives and friends with physical problems. Everything from hip to knee and in wheel chairs! It's an event to get them into the house and then back out again! I'm thinking that my best bet would be the total low rise stairs to the front door. That way they have a 36 inch front door and the sliding door to come into the home. If, at any time that we need a ramp, I'm thinking that most of the frame for the low rise stairs could still be used. At the front of the home, we have plenty of room for the extended steps and the ramp.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
wes

here's a free calculator that'll render plans for step stringers.
wes

oops i forgot.

framing calc program requires the older windows files threed.vbx and vbrun300.dll to be in the windows folder.

framing calc may not run on windows vista.

download the files from my web space. both are clean.
wheelchair_mom

WWW.wheelchairramp.org has a free manual and videos on how to build ramps and low-rise stairs designed to code for persons with disablities. You can download it for free. This website has a lot of great ideas.