Weight

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

zinkly

I was wondering if anyone can tell me the tongue weight of a 14x70 mobile home?
kashton

I would like to tell you, but I haven't got a clue.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
Yanita

Hi,

Are you asking what the weight of the hitch is...I have no clue. Hopefully someone will either know or give an educated guess.

Can I ask why you need this info? Just curious.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

Yep, I have to agree! I've never actually weighed a hitch before!

I'm sort of curious as to why you'd want this info also LOL!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Yanita

LOL, Kashton, you edited your first response.
kashton

Yanita, I wasn't paying attention to the question. I was gonna give a round-a-bout weight of the whole trailer!
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
zinkly

LOL I am asking this because I am looking at moving my home to another lot, and I know someone that has a heavy truck that might be able to handle it. I was told to find out the tongue weight of the home. I have no idea what that means. Does anyone know what the weight of the home might be? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks![/i]
Jim from Canada

The tongue weight is exactly that. The weight that is on the tongue of the trailer. Most of the weight is on the wheels, but there has to be some on the tongue. It is usually about 10% of the total. If you phone a MH mover they may be able to estimate it for you. Are the axles on the home? The position of the axles will determine the tongue weight. Like a balance, the closer to the front, the less tongue weight. Too far forward is not good to control the trailer and the rear end will also swing out farther when cornering, a dangerous situation. I would get the unit moved by a professional that has the knowledge and insurance to do it. There will be extra road permits needed too. It is a long load! Hope this all helps, good luck with it all

Jim
Yanita

Hi Jim,

Ok, now I understand the question...when reading the original post I thought he wanted to know the actual weight of the tongue.

I agree, if you are moving this home, it is best left to the pro's depending on the obstacles you must go thru.

Have a great day!

~Yanita~
Harry

Hi

Your home weighs approx 16,000 lbs. without the furniture in it. The 10% tongue weight is a good “rule of thumb”.

I know someone with a 4X4 F-250 that moved his single wide approx 300 yards with no problem.

If you are changing lots within the same park …no problem. If you get out on the road there are laws where I live...permits and such.

Keep an eye on the trucks rear tires as you hitch up the home.

JMO

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Jim from Canada

Never thought about the furniture inside part. Not a good idea to go down the highwaywith any furniture in the house. Remove everything that isn't bolted down....unless of course you don't mind your fridge going through a wall or something. lol. That's a Bubba move there!

Jim