Ceiling fan installation

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

squirt13

I need some information on installing ceiling fans in my home. There is currently overhead ceiling mounted lights were I want to put the fans. What I do not know is what the distance between studs are in Fleetwood homes and if the ceiling will hold the weight of the fan. My house is a 1998 Brookfield.
JD
Site Admin

Your ceiling trusses should be 16" on center. If they are 2x3 or 2x4 trusses, you could use a Ceiling Fan Support Bar as found here through the Books & Parts link above.
http://mobilehomerepair.com/order.htm#catalog.

If these are 2x2 or 1x2 trusses, I would not use the bar. It would have a tendency to spread the trusses apart. When we install a ceiling fan on these trusses, we will cut a 19" square of finished 1/2" plywood and cut a hole in the center to install the electrical box to. When mounting the plywood to the ceiling, center it across 2 trusses. Now the fan will be supported evenly by 2 trusses and won't have that tendency to wobble. Finish the edge of the plywood with 1/2" quarter round and paint to match.

Installing an electric box direct to a truss is not a good plan. You can only get 2 of the 3 mounting screws into the single truss, usually ending up with a wobbly fan.

Just my thoughts on it.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
squirt13

How do I find out what the size of the trusses are? The only thing I know about the studs in my house is that the door jam is 6" instead of the standard 4". When I bought the house the door jam was craked and I replaced it. I had a hard time finding a place that carried them.
JD
Site Admin

Just to know if the trusses are 16 oc you could walk the roof. Even with sheathing and comp shingles, you should be able to feel the trusses under your feet. But at some point, you will need to know where the the joist are actually located to install the fan. You could turn off the breaker to the ceiling light, remove the light in question, remove the electrical box and physically check the trusses. Please don't try this repair if you are not experienced with electrical.

Hopefully someone else will come along with additional advice.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.