exterior wall studs

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Nickell

Hello out there. My wife and I recently purchased a 1975 double wide on a wood framed basement. We are looking at putting in new windows but are not sure what our stud width is. I just pulled a piece of panel board back (underneath the window) and took a quick glance. The wall is spray-foamed and as a result I could not determine what the width was. I put an awl through it and think that the width is either 2" or 3". We were hoping that it was 2x4 studding but I don't know. Here's the question: if the studs are smaller than 2x4 will this be a problem getting new windows?
JD
Site Admin

Hi Nickell,

You would be able to install mobile home windows or new construction vinyl windows on any mobile home. If these are 2x3 wall studs, which measure just under 2-3/4", you would be able to install the remodel vinyl windows. I prefer the remodel windows for mobile homes. Very easy to install and look great without exterior trim.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Nickell

Hi JD, thanks for your help. We already got a couple quotes on pvc (vinyl) replacement windows but they were based on a 2x4 stud width. The studs must be 2x3 because I could not figure out why they seemed to measure somewhere in between 2" and 3". I guess it would be wise to get new quotes with for the proper stud width.
Maureen

Hi Nickell,

The easiest way to find out what type of framing you have is to measure an exterior door frame. A 2x4 inch frame, isn't really a true 2x4 inch frame. 2x4's are actually smaller than that, per actual measurement. Can't remember the actual measurements of a 2X4, but it is smaller.

Do a search for a true measurement for a 2x4, or any other wood for that matter. You'll get the true measurement.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Harry

Hi

The actual dimension of a 2x4 is 1-1/2"x3-1/2"

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?