Confused about roofing...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Yanita

Hi Robin,

I had mine fabricated by a local company, dual paned, double hung, low E, installed, it was about 300.00 per window, less on the smaller ones.

We could of installed them ourselves but time was an issue, and my Hubby's patience level. Of course the company allowed in there estimate for rot and there was none so they made out there. BUT, for me it was knowing they were professionally installed, any leaks and resulting damage goes back on them.

I had 13 windows made and installed, a set of sliding doors removed and a set of patio doors installed complete with sliding screen door. Also had an opening made in the bedroom exterior wall to allow for a new door to go there so we had access to the pool without going all around the house. We also had one exterior door removed, re framed and then sided over that.

Alot of work was done, I paid around $8000,00, high for some people but I liked the peace of mind and the guarantee. My windows came with life time replacement if something happens to them.

As for recouping my money certainly it will take a few years for the total bill, BUT if I had gotten just the windows and installed them myself it would of been significantly cheaper. Like I said they did alot of other work, even had to have some electrical changed.

The windows and doors immediately reduced my light bill by almost a hundred bucks a month! Significant enough that the electric company argued with me and they installed a new meter to make sure I had not tampered with the original one!

Today it is just short of 100*, sun beating directly on 6 of the large front windows, I can put my hand behind the blinds and not feel radiant heat from the glass...could not do that before.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Robin

Yanita,

That is amazing, that you were able to save that much on your electric bills! That's what I'm screaming!!

Well, if you all seem to think I'd be better off replacing windows that a new roof, the old of which is not leaking and still looks very good, maybe I should approach my husband about windows. It'll probably be more money, but I think I'll see the return quicker, not that that really matters. What really matters to me is doing anything to make my home more energy efficient. Lately I've gotten on this energy kick, and he's gonna start calling me a liberal!

I KNOW we can be saving money on our light bill. It runs around $200 in the summer, a little less in the winter. Not bad, but the life of our central unit is being sucked away by it running so much. Some days I swear I can go out there, late in the evening, and the darn thing is panting, as if to say, "Well, I made it thru another hot one!"