Floor Joists?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

TonyPa

I am going to start my addition next weekend. It is going to be a bedroom. Just typical bed/dressers....etc.
Are 2x6's strong enough, since there is not a bathtub or anything going in there? Or do I need to go 2x8's?
MikeVila

I personally would definitely go with 8's. 6's might meet minimum but if your going to do it, you might as well make it beefier. You never know what you might want to put in the room later down the road. Pool table? LOL
TonyPa

Your probably right. I was just being cheap. This addition is going to add up, and I was trying to cut corners....
MikeVila

LOL can't blame ya for trying to save money in these times. Besides later you'd always second guess using the 2x6's, I would anyways. Good luck with the addition.
TonyPa

Wood is so expensive. But your right. It would always be on my mind. I will get the 2x8's. I am going to use 6 x 6 's for my posts. I see their not cheap either. But I see some 4x4's that have twisted on my porch from sitting. I don't want that happening. It should be fun digging the holes for the 6x6's though...ugh!!
Suzque49

If you have a Stock building supply or similar lumbar yard near your home, check out their prices. We found they were a LOT cheaper then the big box stores like Lowes or Home Depot. If I remember correctly, the 2x8x10s were something like $12 each, and $6 at the building supply. (We built our 1000sq ft roofed deck for around $5000 in lumber).
Susan
TonyPa

Thanks for the tip. Now that you brought it up, we do have a place near us, thats called builders surplus. I am gonna check them out. I forgot about it. I was told they were cheaper with their lumber, but it slipped my mind.
flcruising

Suggestion-
Don't set the wood in the ground. Pour concrete footings and use a column base anchor to secure the post to the concrete. This method will require some lateral bracing, but wood set into concrete will rot. You want to check with your local building official and see what they require. I would suggest this at minimum.

OR, you could extend the concrete footing up out of the ground the height you need to rest a ledger beam on it to support your floor joists.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
TonyPa

Oh my!!!...Thats outstanding! I have some learning to do before Saturday then. Did you dig the hole, and put the tube in, and just fill with concrete?
Yanita

Hey Tony,

As Aaron mentioned make sure you check with your local building codes office and your INSURANCE company before doing this.

Have you gotten our manual on additions, it's located in the Books/Parts link.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
TonyPa

I didn't get a manual yet. I will take a peak shortly though....
Yanita

Hey Tony,

Please do so you do not make some expensive and possibly damaging mistakes.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Johnny

TonyPa
make sure your land lord will let you do this. as most I lived in and know about will not let you build on to your home.
If I can't fix it -- I ask questions
TonyPa

Thanks. They are fine with it. They just ask me for a generic blueprint.