Roofing Help Needed.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

kamiller73

It's funny how I now realize when you fix 1 thing you find 3-4 more things needing fixing. While on the roof I noticed these lumps and this one huge lump. Recently I have sealed up the holes in the floor (underbelly problems) and other places so tight that I think it's a moisture problem from inside that's doing this to the roof (which was probably already bad). So I lifted up a couple of shingles to find the wood (under the biggest lump) has warped out leaving the insulation exposed. There is also a small crack in the ceiling on the inside where hole is in roof. Looking down the roof I noticed the same kind of lumps but not as extreme as this one. So I had planned on getting bathroom vents anyways (but was planning on doing the wall vents so I wouldn't cut holes in roof) and now that I figure I'm gonna have to replace the wood on the roof I might as well install them then. So any tips and advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I am a girl who's never done this before either, but am up for the challenge (I hope). I'm also thinking of removing the old swamp cooler thing on the roof and the tube that runs the length of the house leaving those horrible looking dust collector vents in the ceiling - yuck.

Oh yea, I'm In phoenix and live in 16x66 single wide 1988. And I believe it's called a gable roof?? and upside down V...
kamikaze
JD
Site Admin

If you are going with a new roof deck, then the repairs should be pretty straight forward. Remember to insulate the hole when you cover the cooler jack hole. That hump May not be easily repaired. If something is actually broke or have come apart, that would be a good thing. That would be more fixable. It is possible that there is a wall in that area that held that area up while other parts of the home settled over the years. In that case, there may not be anything to "fix" and a relevel probably would not put everything back together straight. When homes are out of level for a long time, stuff can get pretty tweaked.

When you install your new roof, I would highly recommend using Ice & Water Shield or Owens Corning WeatherLock underlayment. This product is great for the whole roof, but it is especially good at the eave edges where rain likes to blow up that first row of shingles. That first course also has a tendency to curl causing water to run sideways along the eaves. When that happens, you get ceiling stains. The roof underlayment is there to cure that problem.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Jim from Canada

See my photo album for pics of the roof job I did. Naturally, I over did it! Same type of roof you have.

Jim
kamiller73

Hey Jim from Canada - love your pics and the new roof. I love the over hang of the 2x4's but not sure I can pull that off cuz the porch and carport are both attached to home. Maybe in the areas that their not I can maybe pull that off - hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Did you put more insulation in the larger roof cavity?? Thanks for your help.
kamikaze
Jim from Canada

That's the plan. I can't afford it right now, but seeing as there is no vapour barrier in the house, we would like to take all the drywall down and correct this. At that time we will add baffles and re insulate with Roxul, VB, then hoping pine T&G for the ceiling.
tritontr

It may just be the way the top picture looks but it seems like you are showing at least half of your roof. How are you exhausting the heat and moisture below your roof deck and above your ceiling? I don't see any vents.
kamiller73

Yes they didn't build this home with venting in mind. However, I have installed a dryer vent and new stove vent and my next one will be the bathroom vents.. hopefully. What's wierd is this lump is actually over the front door area where there's little to no moisture problems there at all.. go figure.
kamikaze
Yanita

Hi,

Your post yielded some valuable information...your carport and porch are "attached" to the home. This can cause major roof problems and many other structural issues.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
tritontr

kamiller, when I was referring to vents I meant venting your attic heat and moisture. I realize there is not much space to vent and maybe attic is the wrong word it is the space between your ceiling and the roof deck. Without vents the heat and moisture will cause damage to your decking and shingles if not properly exhausted.