Rusting Roof

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

TT

I have a metal roof which is rusting in several places, about 25% of the roof is rusting. Rather than trying to sand that much, can i neutralize the rust with Navel Jelly and recoat? Or will I need to sand off all the rust before recoating?
Greg

TT, I'm not sure if anyone here has tried it. So, by the power vested in me I here by appoint you as the OFFICIAL belly jelly roof tester!! Sounds important don't it!!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Maureen

LOL Greg! You're way too funny! I'm visualizing this... and laughing hysterically!

Nope the only substitute that I know for a rusting roof, is a roof over, or a new roof. If the metal has broken down that far, there is no patch that will help matters.

Keep in mind that your roof keeps out the elements in your area. Whether that be rain or snow. If either get into your home, that can create a disaster. Our homes biggest enemy is water or moisture of any type! If the roof is leaking, you've got big time problems!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Greg

Actually Maureen Navel Jelly does work in some applications, Just not sure if a roof is one of them. Greg
Maureen

Hey Greg, yep, navel jelly works wonders on some things! Very familiar with it! But, on a roof with lots of rust, it's not going to do the job at all.

Our roofs are exposed to so many elements in just one year, that we don't realize how much it protects us. We all know how important it is to keep the elements out of our home. 25% of a rusted roof is a big area, whether a single wide or a double.

I'd say try it, if you had a few spots of rust. Otherwise, it's sanding and recoat with kool seal. Or a whole new roof.

I look at it this way. The roof is a big enough job. But if the repair fails, then you may have quite a few interior jobs to repair. The worst being replacement of your subfloor.

Personally, if I was short on money and time, I'd find the time to sand and seal with koolseal. Just my opinion though!

Maureen 8)
'Plato'
Greg

Trust me, I don't disagree with you. I would rather do the job once and do it right. But we DO need a few "testers" around here. Greg
Maureen

I do have to agree with you there Greg!

We do need testers, and I think that now that the board has grown by leaps and bounds, that we'll have plenty of testers!

Please, if something does work for you folks, post it! If it doesn't, please post that also! We all learn from each other!

Maureen 8)
'Plato'

I've also used Naval Jelly, on quite a few cars. Works wonders.

I suppose, for metal roofs, it depends what's below the metal.

Hey, would Bondo work on MH's?

:) FL
Maureen

Hi There,

I've used bondo on small areas of my aluminum lap siding. For the most part on dents. I don't think I'd use it on the roof though.

Maureen 8)
'Plato'