replacement windows where to order

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

riven1950

I have a 1989 Horton with Bronze ( dark brown ) metal windows with the same color interior " storm " windows.

One exterior window is broken ( glass ) and needs to be replaced.

Several others have broken locks ( the sliding locks that are flat and slide left and right ).

Several storms have missing bottom glass panels. So I need to replace those storms.

Anyone know where I can find these in bronze? I have found in brushed alum. but not bronze. How about the locks, can they be replaced?

they are approx 32x54 or so.

I feel the best thing would be to install vinyl replacements ,but don't want to do that right now.

Thanks,

Ted
NC Coast
Greg

Ted, If you are planning on changing the whole window in the near future, I would go with what you can find and paint to match.
One other thing to think about is cost, You may have a good part of the cost of the new window just in the cost of the storm window. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
riven1950

forgot to ask...the frame is ok. Can the glass only be replaced?

I agree that replacing with white vinyl might be the best, however I may be selling after rehab and don't really want one white window and 10 bronze.

Thanks,
Ted
NC Coast
JD
Site Admin

Hi Ted,

Aluminum windows are almost non-existant in my area any more. I used to buy them from a old school glass company that would custom make them for us. They now only sell the vinyl dual and triple panes. The only mobile home aluminum windows available in my area is Phillips Windows, which are the ones available through most online mobile home parts stores like Ashville, Mobile Home Parts Store etc. I do not believe they sell bronze finished windows. I found two manufacturers that make mobile home aluminum windows with the bronze finish. You can contact them to find a supplier that is local or who would ship them for you.

http://www.creationgroup.com/alwin/alwind.html

http://www.pocahontasaluminum.com/windows.html

I asked my Milgard supplier about brown trimmed vinyl windows and he said that Milgard does not make them because the dark colors absorb too much heat and can distort the frames.

Hope this helps

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

If it is just the glass and the frames are ok a full service hardware store may be able to do the job. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
riven1950

Thanks for the info. I am going to research repairing the glass 1st. If not I will give JD's sources a shout.

Would love to replace all with vinyl, but most are good and not sure of the return I would get when selling.

Ted
NC Coast