replacement shower doors

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

rancocasrich

We want to replace the shower doors in our MH. The bath is 54". The present doors are plastic (fiberglass?). Where can I find a vendor who sells these?
Greg

You can special order at any home center, or just go with a full size door, cut the top & bottom tracks a little shorter and let the doors overlap a little. You can find specials on the full size door. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

You can get the mobile home replacement 54" door from ashvillemobilehomes.com or other online parts stores for around $130. They tack shipping onto that, so probably over $200. Still might be cheaper than a special order door. A 60" door on a 54" base or tub will work, but it makes for a smaller opening.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
oldfart

Ranco just a thought here but have you ever considered just going to a simple shower curtain? Here's why I ask. I had a glass/plastic sliding shower-door for many years. And all-in-all I thought it was a good idea but it had a lot of drawbacks. First off it always seemed to jam up or be out of adjustement. Or the doors would fall off the tracks..or leak....etc. etc. etc. And it was always covered in soap-scum and a general p.i.t.a to keep clean. This time I went with an old fashioned idea. A simple shower-curtain hung by a spring-loaded rod with replaceable inside liners. J.C. Penneys/Sears B.B&B and many others sell them. I paid less for my entire set-up than most pay for just the un-installed hard doors. No worries fitting it..the rod is spring-loaded and snaps into place. Move it up/down as the need arises and when the inside curtain liner gets grungy....chuck it and hang a new one for under $10. The exterior curtain last forever as well as the rod and the hanger rings. And ya can change them according to style. I think my total out-of-pocket expense was under $80. If I ever slip and fall..no broken glass/plastic to possibly cut me. And entering/exiting for a handicap person is easier and safer. Just something to think about....YMHS...Audie.. the Oldfart...
manic49er

Ah, but oldfart, shower curtains can be a royal pain, especially with smaller, closer tub/shower dimensions of a mobile home. As when I recently moved into my father's trailer (died 3 years ago and was unable to sell (nor are 3 others in park ;+)) to save money I found the closer dimensions made the shower curtain want to be even closer to me and wrap around me, especially right after I get soaped up ;+))) The wittle magnets at the bottom aren't strong enough to hold curtain taught against hot air vent/flow. I eventually had to buy 3 large (~3/4" dia) magnets which I have to place & remove every time I take a shower. A pain in the kister but better than getting wrapped up in a cape like Dracula! So I've been thinking about trying to install shower doors myself. Been holding off until I can figure out how to remove & replace individual Hot/Cold/Diverter valves as something is leaking (drip, drip, drip) BUT can't seem to remove the metal cylinder around valve thru wall (just bends).
But as I stated above, Shower curtains aren't an answer for everyone ;+)
Yanita

Hi,

I know shower curtains are not for everyone, but thought I would let you know that in the past year or so there has been a new design in shower curtain rods. They now come with a bend/bow in them to actually make the curtain stay off you and give a little more elbow room. I think Mark has a picture of his in his personal album.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!