In trouble!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

We messed up big time in front of our tub.I thought our tub apron was straight when my husband put it in, but not only was it not straight the plywood underneath was installed before it so now there is a huge gap there. I also used that as my straight edge for the tile so now there is an uneven gap in front of the apron. Please Help! :?
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site!

Sorry to hear of your dilemma. Unfortunately the only thing I can see is that you would have to remove the tiles. You do not say what kind they are, ceramic or peel and stick.

When installing tiles you do not start at one wall and then go across the room, you find the center of the room, mark accordingly. The first tile is then set on center and you work your way to the outside walls.

Unfortunately our homes can become sort of optical illusions as to what is straight and plumb! The front apron of your tub is case in point. Unless the wall studs are plumb and straight nothing else will be either.

If tile removal is not an option about the only thing I see is adding a piece of decorative trim at the front of the apron. Will cover some of the gap but not necessarily hide the whole thing.

On a side note would you mind completing the profile about your home. These are very helpful for those that answer your questions.

Good luck and maybe others will have some better corrective measures...

Have a great day!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!

It is Duraceramic and I tried pulling one up and I was afraid of bending it any suggestions? Oh and what about continuing the tile under the tub and cutting the apron to go on top?
JD
Site Admin

I don't have enough information to know exactly what the problem is. A picture would help a lot. Is the gap between the apron and the tile underneath the apron or is the gap horizontal where the tile ends on the floor before the apron? What is this apron made of? Steel porcelain, fiberglass, plastic?

Whatever the problem, I would not cut the apron. You would need to seal that gap and then trim over the sealant, then probably seal the trim to the apron and floor. For the sealant under the trim, I would not count on tub and tile caulk. I would use a quality urethane caulk/adhesive like DAP Dynoflex 230 or Tremco Vulkem 116.

You said the apron is wavy, which makes me think that it is ABS plastic. This can be straighten by installing a straight furring strip on the floor behind the apron to attach the apron to.

Again, I don't really have a god visual as to what the problem is.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.

I have a picture but I don't know how to post it.

[albumimg]186[/albumimg]
[albumimg]188[/albumimg]
[albumimg]187[/albumimg]
Last edited by Guest on Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD
Site Admin

From the picture, it looks like the tub was installed without a subfloor under it, direct to the floor joists. The subfloor should have gone to the wall on the back side of the tub.

At this point, if the enclosure walls are screwed to the wall, I would pull the tub/enclosure and install the rest of the subfloor (plywood). If the enclosure walls are glued onto the walls with the bottom edge of the panels overlapping the lip on the tub (which they should be) then removing them would probably destroy them.

You might be able to pull the the apron, block under the the edge of the installed floor, leaving half of the edge of the 2x4 to nail enough of a strip of plywood down to go to the tub apron. This is not an ideal situation, but it would allow you to finish the floor up to the apron and seal the heck out of it. Then put some trim over the sealant and seal that.

Re-doing the tub and enclosure would be the best thing to do. Sorry.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.

There is subfloor on each side of the apron he put the apron track on the studs only because the tub apron was too long.but now that we find out the tub apron wasn't straight and we tiled based on the wall being straight.
JD
Site Admin

At this point, without reinstalling the tub and enclosure, the only thing I could think of to do is to fill that gap with plywood and cut tile to fit. The plywood should still be braced, even if you have to do that from underneath the home. This may look better if you use 2-1/4" flat trim installed both ways, flat on the floor, and then from that trim flat against the tub. I would think you would want to use the plastic trim so it won't get damaged from bath water.

Maybe someone has a better suggestion for you.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

Greg

The first idea that comes to my mind is to get the gap sealed up with caulk, foam etc. than build a 6" high step across the front of the tub to hide the mistake, I mean aid in getting in the tub. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
kashton

I like Greg's idea, since alot of new tubs are higher. If you have the room. I have a small bathroom and we ended up with a similar problem. We extended the tile to the edge of the floor and then ran tile up to meet the edge of the tub skirting. There will be a pic in personal photo album.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
Maureen

Hi Welcome to the forum!

I'm all for hiding mistakes, or disguising them, but I'm just not real sure I'd do this under a tub. Like JD, I just wouldn't be comfy knowing that their wasn't a full subfloor under the tub. I'd be afraid that within a few years it fail (the tub). I'm afraid that.

I'd take it all out and start over. I'd ask lots of questions on this forum and make sure that I bought Mark's repair manual. It's something that no mobilehome owner should be without! It will pay for it self many times over!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Yanita

Hi,

My first answer was based on the fact the front apron was not straight, thus the tiles showed the flaw. Until the pics were posted only then do I see that there is no sub floor under the tub.

I have to agree with others, although costly I would remove the tub and get a proper sub floor installed. Surely without it your tub will fail in short time, resulting in the job being done over anyways.

Great idea about the step Greg, might be something we do when we finish the second bath, soaker tubs are real deep, thus making the step in a tall one!

Have a great day.

~Yanita~

We have decided to peice in the subfloor where there is none which we can do with the apron pulled back then tile in front of the tub he is going to build a frame and tile the same as the shower surround I think it is a good idea :?:
Yanita

Hi,

Make sure that the outer edges of the tub and any supports of the tub are sitting on the subfloor that you install. Not doing so will result in premature tub failure.

Good luck and post pics of what you do. :D

~Yanita~