wet underneath trailer

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

voldo37

I have noticed that the ground under my mobile home always seems to be a little wet. I guess I never have worried to much about it but was just curious if this is something I need to check into a little further. There seems to be good drainage and my home sits on a slightly sloping hill. What would cause the entire ground under the home to be constantly wet??
Demolition

Two Questions: Does it smell like poop or like stinky dishwater? Or is your water bill higher than expected?
If there is no ventilation under the house the water can never evaporate. Just because it is on a hill the soil might be made of clay or sand underneath the topsoil.
I recommend putting on dirty clothes and crawl around under the house.
Watch your head. Them Steel Beams dont move.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
preppypyro

Are your vents across from each other in the skirting?

If it always seems wet under there, I would do as demolition suggested, get some dirty clothes or some coverall's on, grab a light and do some searching.
Yanita

Hi,

Barring any leaks under your home I suggest placing a vapor barrier under there. This is nothing more than a minimum 6 mil sheet of plastic. You should cover at least 80% of the entire ground space under your home. You will need to piece it in around the piers and over lap the sections. Some will say tape the sections together. Mine is over lapped by at least a foot, and then used nails to tack it down.

In some places a moisture barrier is code, and in yet others it is a requirement from the insurance companies.

It will keep all evaporating moisture under the plastic, keeping it from wicking up into the underneath of the home.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

You could also open a few sections of skirting up for a few days to let some air in to help dry it up. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
tanmar

hmmmm...i live in canada and i was pretty sure we had a moisture barrier under the crusher dust. I know it is there around he edges because i can still see it in some spots outside around my MH. That would mean it is under the MH as well...but i have dug a fair amount down and have never run into it. It is pretty damp under ours as well (no smells or odors or anything and dont see water running anywhere)...and we have humidity issues in our MH (especially during the winter...its bad). So maybe investing in this vapor barrier will help cut down on my dehumidifier usage...hmmm.

Yanita wrote:Hi,

Barring any leaks under your home I suggest placing a vapor barrier under there. This is nothing more than a minimum 6 mil sheet of plastic. You should cover at least 80% of the entire ground space under your home. You will need to piece it in around the piers and over lap the sections. Some will say tape the sections together. Mine is over lapped by at least a foot, and then used nails to tack it down.

In some places a moisture barrier is code, and in yet others it is a requirement from the insurance companies.

It will keep all evaporating moisture under the plastic, keeping it from wicking up into the underneath of the home.

Yanita
Yanita

Hi Tanmar,

Good to see you again. LOL, I always recommend a moisture barrier. It is real cheap insurance! Go to your local hardware store and get yourself a big roll of 6 mil minimum plastic, color not important. Get it laid out so that it covers the underneath of your home. Make sure to get as close to the piers as possible.

To the original poster, you say you live on a hill, is it possible that you have underground water trickling in under your home...if so you might want to consider installing a catch basin or french drain, either will divert the water away from your home.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!