Park Living PRO's & CON's

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Any one have experiences they wish to share about park living. Please share them with us. I would like to learn more about the pro's and con's without going through all the hassles others have experienced.
Mark
Site Admin

This could become a long thread of information. If your in a small rural area, you probably won't have much choice in parks. If your in a more populated area, then the choices could be vast.

If you don't like to be told what to do, you probably won't like living in a park. A good-looking neat park probably has a lot of rules, or it won't stay good-looking. Everyone wants to get into a good-looking park, but not all wish to follow the rules.

Rules may include how to park your car, maintenance of your home and yard, number of vehicles, pet restrictions & much more. Some parks go as far as telling you what days you can mow your lawn. Then again, some parks will mow the lawn for you.

Some parks may not allow motorcycles. Some parks, or areas of older parks, will only allow new homes. Rentals may not be allowed if you ever move and can't sell your home. Some parks don't allow kids, others are for seniors only.

Small parks can have a much more neighborly feeling. Senior parks tend to have a much more neighborly feeling where everyone watches out for everyone. My parents winter in a park where nobody locks there doors. If somebody else accidently gets your mail in their box, you'll shortly find it inside your door. Lost items show back up at your door. Need a cup of sugar, you got 6 neighbors fighting to lend you a cup. Litter is non-existent because everyone helps keep the park clean. Those types of parks are harder to find, but nice when you do.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
brucetrout

I would inspect the park and even talk to a few residents.
Due to the deal I got on my home I moved into a junky park.
The roads are terrible and management won't do anything. Some people keep their places real nice and some the skirting is blowing off, trash laying around, etc.
I would have not moved here except for the deal I got.
brucetrout
Yanita

Hi,

I really enjoyed the park that I lived in before we bought out in the country.

Establish a good repor with management, then typically things go really well, or at least it did for me.

The one thing I always tried to remember is that my life style may not be the same as my reallly close neighbors, so during the day you kinda got to roll with the kids, dogs, vehicles etc...only after 9PM at night could you really make a valid complaint on noise. If you choose to live in a park, then you have choosen to reside in a close community! Others are always going to be doing something that may annoy you.

So, to me the bottom line is, how much in your life are you willing to tolerate or compromise.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

As you can see the park life can go to extremes- great to I WANT OUT!!! The best advice I can give is drive through the parks in your area look around and talk to people. Remember that you can't go on one person's opinion so talk to as many as you can. A lot will depend on what YOU want and expect. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Maureen

I think a lot has to do with the person! I lived in several apartments after moving out of my parents house... years and years ago! But I hated each one. I lived in 3 or 4 mobile parks, and I hated them!

Now, the reason that I didn't like them was simple. I was raised on a ranch where I had acres between us and the closest neighbor. I wasn't even happy in the custom home we built. We had a nice lot, but no views of anything!

It took quite a few years, but I finally found the best option for me. It's just 1/3 acre, but I have views of my mountains and Reno. We aren't right on top of each other. I'm out in the county, but still close to all the cities. It works for me.

I was used to wide open spaces! All it took was finally realizing what I really could live with! The trade off was moving into a lower income area. But, even that has changed over the years! It's no where near as bad as it used to be!

Maureen
Sylvia

We moved into a park because we relocated from California to Iowa. I had moved back home after my divorce and was told by my attorney that I could get custody of my children there. I went to settle, find a job, place to live and then couldn't get them. In the meantime remarried and we moved back to Iowa. We had a puppy and couldn't find a place to rent with a dog.

I bought a home on the internet and had it placed in a park for lack of a better alternative. For me, living in a park was like living in an apartment building. I hated it. It didn't feel like I owned a home. It was more expensive than renting by far and it didn't feel secure. Perhaps those that own thier own land in a park would feel differently.

I had owned a "regular" house from the time I was 20. I'd say if you're going from renting to living in a park it's a step up. For me that was not the case.

We had two dogs that were part of our family. The park set a rule a few years later that there was to be only one dog, new rules. We might has well been told we had to sell a kidney or a skin child in order to live there. It was not going to happen.

The people were noisy, dirty, the police were getting called regularly. The other homes were pieces of junk. I couldn't plant a garden. It just was not my cup of tea.

We moved out because of the dog rule. We found a mobile home on land in very poor condition that was going to be a temporary place until we could move it away and build a new home. We fixed it up and it's now indistingishable unless you know what you're looking for from a regular stick home. We could move and buy anything now that we're stable (mostly) financially. We plan on staying here a long time though. We still have a few messy neighbors and noisy neighbors but we can do what we chose to when we chose to.
troyster

When we moved into our park it was the most desirable park in town. Since ownership changed hands the park is starting to slide and for the first time I can hear home owners talking of moving as the new owners are slow to enforce rules if at all. I now have 2 pipe smoking crack heads living next door who decided to get a yappy dog and put it outside early in the morning till late evening. though they keep to themselves pretty much except to come over once in awhile to bum smokes . The cops were there 3 times in less then 3 months and he isn't supposed to be living there because he refused a criminal record check-the owners said their hands are tied because she owns the home and she is allowed guests for a certain time period . So even if you move into a primo park ,if it changes hands and the new owners don't rule with an iron fist then your stuck.
Maureen

LOL Troyster,

Own the place, but still deal with yapping dogs almost daily. The dogs have been fairly quiet the last few days though :D

Yep, had a crack house in back of us for the last 2 years. Cops were over there because I called regularly. Fights, child neglect and all that give stuff. They're gone now.

Still, what I have, right now for our budget, suits me just fine! If I want total peace and quiet, I'd better find 20 acres out in the desert to retire! But, then I'd have to deal with rattlers, mountain lions and coyotes!

Maureen 8)
Yanita

Own or renting...park or property, as long as people live near one another there certainly will be issues sooner or latter.

Hubby and I have had this property less than a year, a few weeks ago the home across the road from us was rented out. It's a fair distance away, but it certainly does not stop there dog from crapping on my lawn, digging holes in my gardens and their constant need to squeal the tires every time they leave home!

Believe it or not but those were not issues when I lived in the park!

Make your decision wisely!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi CqCasting

Park living:

I lived in a park for awhile. Didn't like it. Too closed in. Lots of people living close together and all the problems thereof.

But...it was close to work, it was cheap rent and it was more secure than some areas of south Florida.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
scottman

I agree with Yanita. We lease on private land. There is one house 200 feet from us, which is a rental. It is far better than having 4 houses 10 feet from you. Nonetheless, our happiness is directly related to their level of intelligence. The previous owners called cops on us twice ... once because we were "burning wood and papers" (in IL in the country, you can burn household waste, but not food), and the wind changed direction toward them, and second because a nearby barn alarm went off. They had our number, but instead called 911. They were evicted after they trashed their place. I then saw a tub in the front yard and septic guy there for quite a while 8)

When the new neighbor moved in, my wife didn't want me to go over just yet (thinking he'd pull a 22 on me?). I did anyway and introduced myself. I feel SOOO much better being on good terms with him. While I don't know if he's totally cool or a jerk, he seems cleaner and more responsible. We'd be ok as long as he's there.

About 10 years ago a 6 ft privacy fence was put around their property for the big dogs they had. My father-in-law had a wise saying, "fences make good neighbors!".
Maureen

Hi Scottman,

Your Father in Law was correct, fences do make good neighbors! We have wire fences out here, for the most part. I would really love to put up a 6 foot fence around our home! But, it's not something I can do myself, neighbors wouldn't chip in, so it wouldn't be cost effective either. I'd have to pay for it all, and hire it out to be done.

Dang, gonna have to start playing the lotto! I almost went over the border the other day to buy some lotto tickets when it was up to 300 mil, plus. Cali border is just 10 to 15 miles from us, depending on which direction you go!

You can't guarantee that any place that you live in will be perfect! Money doesn't promise that those problems will go away. Case in point. We had a lovely custom built home 15 years ago. Wonderful neighbors! We also had 6 foot fences LOL! At that time both hubby and I were working nights. We didn't get off until 2:00 AM. We had a wonderful little old lady that lived next to us. One weekend she hired help to tear out a piece of concrete and change the landscape. Very cool! But she had them start at 6:30 am in the morning! We ended up having a little problem over that one! Nothing like waking up to a jack hammer!

Maureen
kashton

Unlike Troyster, I don't have the crackheads next door.lol. But I do have a guy next door that is on more meds than an average town. He is pretty harmless, but can still be annoying. The benefit of that is that they go on holidays a couple times a year. I take care of their place, and get to use their hot tub. Don't tell Troyster, he will be showing up. Oh, maybe he will bring the beer! Party at my neighbours trailer.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!