Adding windows

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

phelpcd1

Is the only place to get MH windows from the manufacturer of the MH? I am thinking about adding 2 new windows right next to the existing ones (to make it appear like one larger window) in the LR and wanted to make them the same size and style. Anybody see any problems with this? I'm wondering if Clayton sells "parts"....
Jim from Canada

It might be easier to re-frame in all new windows. You will probably get a more efficient window if you go to the building centre or window dealer.

Jim
Greg

Since you are in Texas the cold weather is not as much of a factor for you, but in the north where it gets COLD, many of us have replace the "trailer" windows with good quality double hung windows that actually seal out the weather.
I installed Pellas through our home a few years ago. At today's prices figure about $200 per window Plus interior trim. (that is with you doing the labor).
The actual job is a little time consuming but it does not really require a high skill level. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Like Greg, I would recommend installing 4 vinyl dual pane windows from Pella or Milgard. The big home stores can custom order any size of windows you might need if you do not have standard sized windows.

Phillips Products is probably the largest supplier of mobile home windows and doors. They supply most MH manufacturers as well as parts stores locally and online. You can check their "Locate a Dealer" link to find the closest retailer to you.

http://www.philipsproducts.com/

When installing windows into a new location, be sure you frame the opening properly with enough header support and king studs. If this is a double wide, you may also be able to reframe the openings to fit two larger windows instead of 4 windows.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
phelpcd1

No, this is a very small 14x46.......it's about 3.5 years old. I am including a pic of one of the windows. I have such a great view, which is why I'm wanting more of it. I figured it would be easier to just put a 2nd window next to the original instead of new ones....hmmm, something to think about. I just mainly want to be sure I don't have any weight issues etc. My neighbor has a Palm harbor double and he took out a door and both windows on each side of it and installed 2 6' sliding glass doors right next to each other. You can sit on the couch and see the entire view which is awesome. He's had zero issues with any of him improvements so far.Image
Greg

it's your call, but I would be very surprized if there were any weight issue,It's not like you would be putting in a 12' wide floor to ceiling window. Greg
phelpcd1

LOL........ya, if I could, I'd do exactly that Greg.........a 12' floor to ceiling window would be PERFECT!!! If I ever build a "normal" home out there, I will go ahead and fit that into most of the walls facing the lake!! I will check out the better quality windows and see what it will cost...thanks!
Demolition

You might run an ad in the paper looking for MH windows. I tear down houses and mobile homes. I have a couple of windows in my yard.

Check with some local demolition contractors in your area. Also measure the sizes of the windows and make sure the glass aint broke and the windows slide good.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
oldfart

M'am I'm gonn'a jump in here and offer up some thoughts. First and foremost instead of trying to fit in 2 extra windows why not just install 1 and be done with it? You'll cut your labor by 2/3rds. and have less chance of any leaking by just installing 1 window. It's actually quite simple. I've done it..therefore I know. ;) Take some measurements or have a competent carpenter do it for you. Now go to Lowes and tell them what you want to do. They'll pop up their magic computor and go right to Pella. You decide what width window you want...keeping in mind the heigth of your present window. If your present window is 40in. high (I'm just picking numbers out of thin air here!!) tell them how wide you want the new window to be. Pella will make it to whatever size you wish and you won't believe this... but it'll cost you less than the cost of buying 2 seperate windows. And you eliminate the hassle of installing "mullions." (the partitions between 3 seperate windows) Ask your carpenter or Lowes and they will explain. I replaced a trio (3) of windows in the East side of my livingroom with a single 43in.X64in. Pella custom made double-hung window. I added in low-E glass for a pittance more. Mine is a "slider-type window" it opens from side-to-side instead of up and down. It came complete with screen and the price was under $200. delivered. Delivery took 10 days. I lifted up the window and installed it myself so I'm sure it weighed under 80lbs. or I couldn't have done it alone. Weight was not an issue. Pellas reputation is assured. Also..this window is so energy efficient on the hottest day of the year I can leave my drapes open and NO heat passes thru the window into my home. In the winter..no heat escapes my home via the window. I'm sold on Pella windows and my hats off to Lowes! JHMO of course...Audie..the longwinded Oldfart! :) P.S. No I don't work for Lowes or Pella....
Yanita

Hi,

Just jumping in here...but I agree with the above info, if you are looking to add another window or two then Ole Fart gave some great info.

Regardless of where you live original mobile home windows are junk. In the north the cold air comes in and in the south the hot air from summer comes, either or your windows are not efficient.

Instead of throwing good money after bad to get the extra windows, save a little more if needed and upgrade to traditional windows and save yourself a bundle in the future.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

....And I think I heard Audi say he would come down and install them for you!! Greg