question on park rules

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

fargoman

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this wasn't sure.

Does anyone know if it's illegal for a park to deny a person the right to own a service dog because the dog goes over their weight limit? I would think it would be illegal. To me it be no different then an apartment denying a blind or deaf person a service dog. The dog would be for a autistic boy.

Thank you
Last edited by fargoman on Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garrett_reukauf

If it's for health reasons like you say then I can't see how they legally could deny the animal.
Ask the park owner if they have ever heard of the "American Disability Act" regardless, its just plain discrimination.
You're not refering to the Edgewood Mobile Home Park off 32nd Ave North are you? When I lived in Fargo years ago I would always hear the park managers there were really hard to deal with.
dandjbarrett

I found this little blip when I looked for info regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act and service dogs. It looks like people who need a service dog are allowed to have that dog anyplace it is needed. I can't imagine a MHP could deny a disabled person the right to have a service dog.

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/animal.htm
Greg

The american's with disability act is a FEDERAL law, I would "gently" remind them of this, Otherwise 1 phone call will bring the wrath of God and countless lawyers to their door. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mark
Site Admin

Dito to what the others said in response. When I leased my store space, there was no handicap parking sign. I took it upon myself to get one put up before the disability Gods bestowed upon me. Ya don't want to mess with them.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
fargoman

Thanks everyone I didn't think they could do this :D
Sylvia

The number of employees a company has determines whether they fall into ADA guidelines, at least as an employer. It may be different if it's a housing situation.
I'd contact a local human service agency to find out.
Adriamarie

I had a similar situation, as the park I live in has had many managers and paperwork seems to disapear with each, And I have a Service dog over the limit-a Lab she is about 100lbs , Last manager had all the paperwork, as My park gives a tag out for each animal you own as well. When the New managers which is the owners daughter took over ,Didn't know of my 100 lbs and without checking I got letters requesting to rid of the dog, Well Service dog or not I have been here for 9 yrs and You just don't give away a family member, nor a Helpful friend needless to say there were problems until I showed her the paperwork and all is calm now, but of course other members in the park wonder why I have a 100lb dog and not the limit of 20lbs. So by Law you indeed have the right to keep Your helpful friend , just show them Your paperwork and You won't even have to speak. Hope all goes well and Keep the Smiles you have!!
nwwoman

Hey folks --- Finally, a question I can answer. I was one of the people who actually was involved in the writing and lobbying of the federal government for passage of the legislation legalizing service dogs. So, yes, a certified service dog (underscore certified) can not be denied in a park, airplane or public places where pets are customarily not allowed. The organization that spearheaded the legislation was the Delta Society, near Seattle in Washington state. The Delta Society is the national organization that has been advancing animal-assisted therapy since about 1983. If you contact the Delta Society, they may still hand out small booklets that detail the federal legislation. You can also ask them about certification of your animal -- if that is needed.

While it's legal, that does not necessarily mean, though, you will end up on the best of terms with your park manager. Legal and good relationships don't necessarily go hand in hand.
----------------
1980 Rex Mftg Home; metal ext / roof; bowed roof; 2 bdrm; 1.5 bath., single wide; 14X60