hot water heater

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

All-Is-One

Well i have discovered another lovely fault. Before buying my mobile home, i asked the previous owner to replace the hot water heater, because it was rusted and finished. When doing inspection of home before possesion, they replaced the water heater, so i signed papers and took over my new and first home. Last night discovered, when searching for shut off valve, for water supply, that the previous owner replaced hot water heater with one that specifically says, "WARNING, this water heater IS NOT design certified for installation in a manufactured (mobile) home or for installation outdoors." I assume i will have to got through lawyers do deal with situation, but can anyone tell me what kind of problems that may occur with this heater?
JD
Site Admin

You may need to go to court if the guy is unwilling to fix it, but there is no defense for his mistake. What he did was actually illegal. If the work was done by a contractor, you could even go after him and he would have to make it right.

All that said, I know that putting standard water heaters in mobile homes was very common in the old days. I do not recommend it. In a mobile home that has outside access (only) to the water heater, a standard atmospheric mobile home water heater is approved. If there is an inside access to the water heater, the water heater needs to be a direct vent, closed combustion type.

Whether you can get satisfaction, or if that satisfaction is worth it, from the original owner or not, only you would know. But building codes are on your side and there are very specific laws on using non-mobile home approved gas appliances in mobile homes.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

If you can, get the correct water heater installed first, then worry about who pays for it later. There are reasons that there are mobile home approved heaters. Your safety comes first. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi, is this water heater an interior access or exterior access?

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
All-Is-One

It is interior. just had my first experience of a pilot light going out. Yay! Didnt blow anything up, so far so good.
Jim from Canada

I am assuming it is a direct vent gas heater. We had the same in our home when we moved in. It failed and put out a horrendous amount of smoke doing so. We changed to an electric rental. The installer is responsable for his work and the previous owner is liable for the repairs in the contract to be done correctly. I would get the work done first, to be on the safe side. Then go after the seller and perhaps even the real estate agent on the grounds of non disclosure. You may need a lawyer if they do not cooperate, but make the opposing party know that any legal fees will be tacked on to the suit you will be bringing.

Jim
Yanita

Hi

Be sure to document everything that has to be done, pics of existing heater and install, and info from whomever does the new heater.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

All is one, To try to answer the last part of the question, As far as I know the major difference between MH approved heaters & non MH approved is the approved units use OUTSIDE air for combustion. the have a seperate intake duct to keep from depleating the air inside the home.
Now I can not (and will not) comment on the safety differences, but I can say that on one side of the coin people have installed them the other side is that there are codes & regulations for a reason. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Palomino

Are there special mobile home water heaters for gas and electric or is it just gas water heaters that have a special mobile home version?

Thanks!
geraldk

just one other point.... your home owners insurance may not and probably wont cover you if anything were to happen if you left a non approved water heater in the home..
im not a dr. but ill take a look
Jim from Canada

It is just the gas heaters that have a problem in a MH. The concern is, according to the inspector I spoke with, is the possability of the combustion process using the air in the home. This would then lead to carbon monoxide building up in the home. This is all because of the air volume is deemed to be smaller in a MH as opposed to stick built. Figure that logic out! As Gerald says, if anything ever happens, your insurance company will take the easy out and not give you a cent.

Jim