Window Replacement Suggestions

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

HollyParkGirl

We are currently in the process of putting all new windows in our 1967 Holly Park. The "master" bedroom has 5 windows in the very small room. We were wondering how we could go about taking out a couple of the windows. We would like to know what we would put on the outside and not make it looked cobbled up. We though about putting tin matching the outside of the home. Is it possible to find tin that would match the rest of the mobile home?
thanks!
JD
Site Admin

The mobile home vertical aluminum siding is still available. It gets pricey though. A 4x8 sheet (slightly less width after the bends) is about $100 retail I think. Then the shipping can be a lot too. But the installation is a snap. You can order the siding from

http://www.all-rite.com/

Look under Products / Siding

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
geraldk

just another thought, you could sheet up the windows you dont want and put vinyl siding on the house, costly but it works
im not a dr. but ill take a look
Yanita

LOL, this thread had me confused for a few minutes...

Do you have a mobile home salvage yard anywhere near you? Or perhaps a metal salvage yard, you might find something there.

The windows that you want to remove and cover over are they in an area that would allow you to use a different type of siding that would look like it was meant to be there.

Sorry not much help here...

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Furball

I would put up shutters on the outside, so it just looks like the shutters are closed. Paint them to match your trim.
mrfixit64857

IN One one of our homes, I had one of those tiny bedrooms with 5 annoying little spring-loaded windows... two of them had cracks, and the tenant lost a couple of the accompanying storm windows.
I removed two of the windows and boxed in the opening as a frame. I insulated it, drywalled the interior side and used a piece of plywood cut to size for the exterior, skim coated it with rock hard putty and painted it to match ( I took a section of the trim to Homey's Depot and had them color-match it).
It looks like it was designed that way, Now.
Sylvia

Windows are never a bad thing. Can you make one LARGER opening and get a larger window and combine a couple smaller ones?

We actually made most of our windows larger and added one here. Windows make a smaller space feel larger.
HollyParkGirl

It actually has 3 large windows and 2 small windows. We will probably just replace all of them but were thinking of other ideas. These are all great ideas. Unfortunately we dont live near a salvage yard to purchase anything right here. We got the Holly Park for free and the lot with all the hookups for $6,000.00 so we can't complain to much.
thanks everyone!