Re-insulate under slide out

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Busybee1952

My slide out was cold! There is no source of heat in it whatsoever. When investigating underneath, this is what I found.

So, out came the old and in went the new kraft-faced 6 1/2" R-19 insulation between the floor joists and then, 1" foam board over top of that and also wedged behind the skirting.

I wanted no seams or air holes at all so I put duct tape on them and then stapled the duct tape.

My lovely assistant and woo-woo getter, Chi Chi, who is 2/3 rat terrier and 1/3 pekenese.

With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity ..... Nair, Keshavan
Greg

That should make a HUGE difference. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Wow, good, no great job!

You should really see a difference in your floors not being as cold!
Bet the heat bill won't be as hard either.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Busybee1952

Someone told me I should cover the styrofoam with visqueen since mice like to eat the styrofoam. What think you all?
With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity ..... Nair, Keshavan
mp183

Looks like my trailer.
Why do I bother taking pictures when I can just look here.
My trailer is from the 70's. I have holes here and there also.
I'm not sure if ther was any factory installed insulation
there at all. Looks like only what they stuffed in after
they punced holes for the plumbing repairs etc.
Thanks for the great idea.
How did you attach the insulation and the board to
the floor?
Busybee1952

I used 3/8" staples in my new electric staple gun to attach the insulation under the floor. I stapled the kraft paper edge to the inside edge of the floor joists. I had to cut several small pieces of wood that I pre-started screws into in order to attach the styrofoam board. It was hard trying to figure out where the studs were and I missed several times but just backed the screw out and tried another spot. I guess the screws were about 2" long or maybe a bit longer. The skirting insulation was held mostly by being wedged tightly and in some places where the seams met, I sort of toenailed one of my little pieces of board with the screw in it.

One of the reasons I post all this stuff is that it might help someone else. I can't say how effective this will be but it has to help. It took me approximately 10 hours to do this slideout all by myself.
mp183

Thanks, it will help me for sure.