Painting a ceiling

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mp183

Have been enjoying our place in the Northern Adirondacks during the summer but now it's back to reality.
It's a trailer from the early 70s.
In very good shape. New plumbing and part has been renovated.
I think we will leave the bedrooms alone.
I tried cleaning a spot on the ceiling and it looks good to
me but my wife thinks it should be painted.
It looks like it's made of some type of plastic material.
Anyone ever paint it?
What type of primer will I need?
Also, the carpet in the smaller bedroom is pretty much shot
and needs to be replaced.
How are these carpets put on?
Are they glued?
Thanks
altasnowman

H i mp183.
Could you give us a little more info as to the make and year of trailer. The reason i ask is there was a period of time in the early 70's that some manufacturers played around with their ceilings and most were a 1/4 in panel cover with vinyl type of coating (may be different in USA but was tried in Canada) and it was discontinued after several months as the haulers kept complaining about ceilings collapsing in transit. as to the carpet it is or should be held down by your walls(another common practice in 70's and into the 80's). you can remove by cutting as close to the wall as you can get and remove old carpet underlay is stapled, so get your pliers out. if you can angle your knife when cutting out old carpet so that it will cut under the walls after you remove old carpet and underlay and you have cleaned up run a bead of acoustic sealant around the room at base of walls this will seal the room(s) from drafts.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
Greg

Are they the panel type with narrow plastic strips between them? or a popcorn type ceiling? I have found that it is almost easier to paint than to try to clean it. Popcorn can be difficult to paint since the paint softens the popcorn and it tends to lift off of the ceiling. I found that by dabbing it on with a brush it stayes in place. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

HI,

You said vinyl coated correct.

If so wash the best you can to remove dust and smoke, prime with any latex primer, there is one made by Kilz that goes on a light pink . As it dries it turns white. Lets you know where you missed any spots.

Then paint with ceiling color of your choice.

On the carpet you have been given the rip out instructions. Just a word of caution on the install. Go easy with those spread bars when stretching the new carpet. I have seen a few mobile walls get ripped out of place from to much pressure.

JMO,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
mp183

Thanks for the info.
Don't know the make of the trailer.
Best that I know that it's from the early 70's.
Where would I look for some type
of ID or name?
The ceiling does look like some type
of vinyl. Seems smooth. Not popcorn.
Has those little rosette type things that
have a nail in the center.
Panels run the width of the trailer and seem to
be about 4 ? feet wide. There is this, what looks like wood, moulding about 1 1/2 wide
that covers the seams.
No cracks, no stains in the panels.
One of the wooden mouldings seems to be
cracked but I can fix that.
That Kilz primer is probably the best idea.
I'll try some in the closet and see how it looks
to make sure it adheres.
Yanita

Hi,

It will adhere, trust me already done this project. But feel free to test for yourself, kilz also works great on the walls after proper prep. For the wall those I use Kilz Premium.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!